Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a depression newsgroup for years but reciently it seems that my social phobia is heading my depression.

My social phobia effects my life all the time. Greater that 1 person with me and i go silent and the self criticism starts chattering away.

I help at a riding for the disabled stables near to where I live. Yesterday I managed to drag myself there, but i was early, so I went upstairs to sit in the lounge. No one was there so i was ok. Then people arrived. They all sat at a different table to me and started chatting and laughing. I know they weren't excluding me and one word from me and i would have been included. But i had zero ability to get myself included. Instead I started writing a suicide note on my phone. Five minutes later and I fled downstairs in internal tears to the soothing company of the horses.

I hate myself so much for my inability to socialize. I am so so pathetic. I have nothing of interest to say. I watch my husband and cater and both find socializing easy. Why am i so inept?

Claire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this site and I don't know if this will help you but here goes ... Everytime I'm out I freeze up!! if someone asks me a question it's like my brain has completely left me and all I can do is smile and nod hoping this makes them go away!! Once I went into a shop and after paying for my item the shop assistant said goodbye to which I replyed " bye love you" I was so embarressed I said that that I didn't go back for months!!! Anyway the point to my rant is that I was told after this event that I was probably not the weirdest person who went into that shop that day and that they probably didn't even hear me, this seemed to help me a great deal cause I realised that everyone has issues and are probably to wrapped up in them selfs to notice anything stupid I'm doing, hope this helps, if not least you can laugh at my stupidness x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually done exactly the same! Said "I love you" or "see you soon" to someone I'll never see again. It is very embarrassing, but i guess you are right they will not remember you for more than a few seconds.

Claire

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I once worked at a gas station about ten years ago. I was helping an attractive woman fuel her vehicle. When I handed her the receipt, I said "I love you" instead of have a good one, or have a nice day. I think I turned white, mumbled something and ran inside. I wanted to go home for the day after that. I almost did. :)

Welcome to the both of you!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Claire, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, ClaireAnnon! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the community! I think we can all relate to the, "I love you" moment when it was awkward. Yes, we feel really embarrassed at the time, but we've all done it.

Your work sounds absolutely fascinating to me. I gather from your post that it's something you really enjoy. Am I correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts