Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Kaitlin. I am 22 years old and married to an amazing guy for almost 4 years. I have a 2 year old daughter whom is my everything. I have been suffering from social anxiety for my entire life but it never really got intolerable until right after I had my baby at age 20. I then started planning my entire life around my husband, relying on him to work and for me to just be a stay-at-home mom. My anxiety basically took control of my life and my life revolved around it. I threw away all my plans of having a career in the future, making new friends, and all my hope for my future had vanished. I had about two jobs within the past two years and neither one worked out because I was too scared of confrontation from my managers because of a bad work performance (in my mind) or something else. I never called them and told them I quit. I was a "no call no show" on both jobs. After that, my sense of self-worth dropped significantly. I thought no one liked me, even if they have never spoken to me before. I believed I wasn't good enough for any job anywhere. I gave up. Recently, I sought help from a local clinic. My life has changed so much over the past two months. I have been taking my anti-anxiety medication everyday and have been going to therapy. I mean sure my anxiety hasn't completely gone away but it isn't controlling my life anymore. Right now, I really need to develop some social skills in order to make friends. My problem is I have NO idea what to say to people so I straight up avoid talking to people my own age that could possibly be a new friend. I highly recommend seeking help to any one of you all that has not. It might help and it might not but getting help is worth it!

·
Banned
12,868 Posts
Hello welcome..

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, KaitlinRenee! :)

·
SUS Member
10,617 Posts
Hi Kaitlin.

I find that the easiest way to start and maintain a conversation is by asking a lot of questions. (I mentioned this in another post.) People love to talk about themselves and will appreciate the interest you show in them (even if you're not really interested and just trying to avoid an awkward silence). Have a list of premade questions handy and make sure you have answers prepared if they ask you the same question in return. "What do you do?" "Do you enjoy it?" "Where are you from?" "Have you seen any good movies lately?" Listen to what they say so you can come up with more questions. This takes the focus off you and makes you seem like a great listener. Instead of trying to come up with a topic, you make the topic about them. It relieves them of the responsibility of coming up with a topic and they'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi caitlyn welcome to the SAS

Im new just like you and found your situation very relatable even though i personally havent experienced it.

I also struggle maintaining conversations and talking to people so if you'd like we can help eachother out if you'd like just by talking i guess :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts