Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Alex, I'm 18 years old and a freshman in college. When I think back to middle school, I remember being that quiet kid with few friends who didn't really talk to anyone. That trend continued throughout high school and now even college. There are other times though, when I would feel especially wound up and in class I would do things for attention and other times I would feel relaxed and normal. My social life has been all over the place and now I am unsure what to even think of myself.

This past fall I started attending college with none of my close friends from high school so making friends was going to be a challenge.. I knew that from the start. I pushed myself at the beginning of the year and ran for student government and won! About two weeks into college and not making many friends (and having many weekends spent alone in my dorm) I went to the on-campus doctor and trying to convince them that I had social anxiety and bipolar disorder. I was prescribed Klonopin, Lamictal, and Risperdal (all of them which I have quit taking now). I also started going to counseling weekly which I had done a few months before then but with no luck.

By the end of the first semester, I was filled with anger, had difficulties concentrating on homework and in class, and had a general bad attitude about everything. I know that I am not bipolar but I do know that I have issues with anxiety, stress, and self-esteem.

The spring semester is starting in 2 weeks and I am hopeful that I can improve my social skills and maybe even start dating. I have always struggled with small talk and having things to say to people, even with my family and friends.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Ust94! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Alex, welcome to :sas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts