Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to everyone. I am glad to have found this forum and look forward to browsing the stories that others have posted here in the hopes of feeling less alone with my new problem.

Recently I had what I believe was a panic attack. As a university student, speaking in front of groups of people has never been a problem. A few days ago I had to make a routine presentation in class. I waited for my turn with no feelings of nervousness or apprehension. As I began speaking, I started to panic. My voice trembled, my hands shook. Thinking back, it felt as if my body was being pumped full of adrenaline. As I became aware that people in the class were probably noticing that I was panicking, it made me panic even more. I began to feel as if I was turning bright red and I was having tunnel vision. And honestly I'm not even sure if I was making sense. Everything that I was going to say went out the window because all I could think about was how to get through with it as quickly as possible.

Was this a panic attack? Was this anxiety? I'm not sure, because I guess I don't know exactly what qualifies for those terms. I still do not feel nervous about speaking in front of groups, but from now on I will be extremely nervous that I will panic again. I'm planning on seeing a doctor this week to see what can be done. Thank you all for reading and I look forward to your input.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Trakanon! :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
As I began speaking, I started to panic. My voice trembled, my hands shook. Thinking back, it felt as if my body was being pumped full of adrenaline.
Sounds like a panick attack or a peak in High anxiety. Maybe your doctor can give a precription for this. I have pills for extra stuff that like that along with my regular Meds.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there! It sounds like you have a combination of panic and anxiety when it comes to speaking in front of a crowd. Now if you have anxiety when it comes to meeting new people, going outside, doing simple things where you feel self conscious in the most extreme way then that is more of a social anxiety. The panic attack I think is brought on by nerves and the expectations placed on you in the moment, rather than on a consistent 24/7 basis.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Trakanon welcome. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there! It sounds like you have a combination of panic and anxiety when it comes to speaking in front of a crowd.
I would appear so. I am curious as to why, after all of these years of speaking in front of crowds, it finally manifested itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like a panic attack for sure. It's good that you've saught answers to this because it can be very scarey when you don't know what just happened to you. Just realize it won't always happen as long as you realize what led to it. It sounds like you got to thinking about it all just as you were in front of everyone. Your mind was spiraling in a positive feedback loop when you were in the midst of it (I'm shaking-everyone sees me- how do I stop- I need to get out of this). Think about what you were telling yourself and analyze it. Always remember to tell yourself in these situations that it is O.K. to be nervous and to look nervous and just focus on what you are saying/your message...that seems to help. Medication can help too if needed- just to calm you down.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
I would appear so. I am curious as to why, after all of these years of speaking in front of crowds, it finally manifested itself.
I don't think you have SA just from what you have told us here, but I'm not a doctor. A panic attack is serious enough if you don't understand why it happened, or confront the cause that triggered it. Welcome to the site and I would be interested to hear what you come up with in your search for a reason for your anxiety episode.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Many people here have experience with Zoloft, you might want to ask in our Medication forums though I'm sure you'll get more answers there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts