Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Tom and I am a new member as it shows. I have lurked this forum for quite sometime and I have finally decided that it is time to create an account and try and fix myself if you will. Gosh where do I start. Well I suffer from OCD, depression, paranoia and SA but I think the thing that really strikes home and has plagued me for years is I have a severe phobia of cameras. I hate them, I try to avoid them at any turn and it seems like whenever I step outside my house its right there. I have come to understand the root of this phobia is fear of being known/famous and many many people know how I look and who I am. Ending up with my picture of another person social media, or being in some of these viral videos are some of my biggest fears. I know it is odd to many of you but I cant shake it. This fear has pretty much ruined my social life, I'm in constant fear and causes much anxiety. As I type this I have major anxiety as I just had come home from a restaurant filled with teens taking pictures of themselves and laughing as it was their last day of school

Thank you all for listening and I look forward to solve my problems and hearing yours

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Tom...Most things are odd in a way.Can you think back to anytime when you may have come across this fear?the fear of being watched or snapped does seem odd,but I'm sure you're not the only one.

Welcome aboard :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome Tom :)

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
I started to hate cameras when I was in my tween years (about 11 or so) and my appearance started to get wrecked by acne and oily/unruly hair. I would see pictures people would take of me and be disgusted by them and feel ashamed of my appearance, then decline being in pictures. I even hid in the bathroom on picture day in middle school. I am not photogenic. Even now, I have to take hundreds of pics of me to get a few that I like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome, and Peterg I'm not competely sure. I know I always have been a bit camera shy and unphotogenic but its developed into a real phobia this past few years. I am 21 now so I would say it really came on strong when I was around 16 and at its worse now

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, SPACEZ! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts