Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading many of the posts on this forum and I relate all to well. Figured I'd lurked long enough and should introduce myself.
I'm a 38 year old woman with what I've always referred to as social phobia. So glad to know it actually has a name (social anxiety disorder) and that it's being recognized as a valid disorder. I also suffer with chronic depression.
I have suffered with SAD as long as I can remember. As a young child I would run and hide in my room whenever friends (actually children of my parents' friends) would come and visit. I never felt like I fit in at any age. Luckily throughout my teenage years I had a best friend who was very popular and well-liked. She and I were inseparable and she "carried" me through high school.
When I married, most of my friends were the spouses of his friends. While my children were young they always kept me company and served as "ice-breakers" in public places or social functions.
It seems my "phobia" has gotten worse as I've gotten older. I'm finding that I'm secluding myself a lot more, which feeds my depression.
I"m ready to take back my life and I guess I'm starting here. Hoping that communicating with others that understand this condition will help. I also have a psych appt. scheduled to begin taking meds.
Anyway... Glad to be part of your group.
Mae

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, LostDragonfly! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jodi, welcome to :sas

·
Banned
38,431 Posts