Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dont know what this is, and I'm wondering if it is the drugs I take (Effexor and Noratryptiline). When I an in bed at night, getting ready to fall asleep, my hear will jerk for a second. I have no control over it. It used to happen in other parts of my body too- muscle jerks, but those have slowed down. Now its just my head, and they are violent jerks. No pain or anything, but annoying. Similar to when the doctor hits your knee with the hammer- you have no control and dont know when its going to happen.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Apparently they're benign, but still it'd be good to tell your doctor about these and mention the term "hypnic jerk" if he/she is puzzled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

I like to suggest chelated magnesium supplements for most things on this board, but in your case specifically, magnesium reduces muscle tension (including twitching/jerking), anxiety, and insomnia. Maybe give it a whirl, eh? If you took, say, 200-500mg about an hour before bed, you should be set. They're also nice to munch on throughout the day :D. The majority of people get too much calcium and not enough magnesium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts