Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
You have to communicate your expectations right off the bat so everyone is clear on what they should expect from you. But at the same time, you should give everyone the same respect, especially those that have worked longer and listen to them when they raise their concerns. Don't be afraid to assert yourself but do in a manner that is clear and concise and if an issue arises, it's best to nip it in the bud when it comes up. Be cool and everyone will be to you, go with the vibe of the place.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is it possible? Is anyone here responsible over other people at their jobs? How do you handle it? How do you assert yourself well?I have an awesome new job (thank the universe). It's another retail position, but this store isn't like my last job that fired me for shyness. The people are very cool and don't believe in being intrusive to the customers, just friendly. Anyway, I am responsible for a team of 6 associates in one department.I am determined to suceed here and don't want my SA to get in the way. I really like this store and I want this to be the job I stay at.If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!
* Hi! Congratulations on your job! I have SA and I work in a management position over people. It was not easy at first but I love the people I work with and it has teached me so much. I work at a bank and I am a teller manager. It can be stressful but I have an assistant to help me out. I never thought I would be able to handle something like this because of my shyness and SA, but SA can put senseless fear inside you that will keep you from ever trying new things, well I did it anyway and it has really helped me deal with people and since I am majoring in business it has helped me to be more business minded. Just remember that you can do this and that you can learn from any working experience. Good luck!*

·
Registered
928 Posts
Managers have social anxiety? :wtf People of a high authority in the workplace scare me the most. Ive been asked by a boss once if I had a problem with her because I was just giving off this 'vibe'.. But its just that Im terrified! Of course I didnt tell her that.

If managers have SA.. they sure are good actors.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have SA and I'm the captain for my gymnastics team if that counts. I actually like being in a leadership position because it makes me feel like i'm not at the bottom of the food chain like I am at a lot of other places in my life. Some people get nervous about messing up while I'm like "Well if they could do any better then they would be in my spot" sort of thing. When other people are in charge of me I feel like they are in control of me so that makes me really anxious.
Job wise, well I've never had a job. I might start working at Publix as a bagger but I'm perfectly okay with that now because I won't have a clue as to what I'm doing so I don't deserve to be in a higher position right now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I manage a small team of 3. My management style is very hands off, I hired competent people who do their jobs, so that makes my job of managing them a lot easier. I'm not big on confrontation so we communicate a lot via email. That probably wouldn't work in retail :) Good luck at your new job!

·
In orbit, always
824 Posts
I'm very, very quiet but anyone within my realm of responsibility knows what I need from them. That much I have to make clear to avoid confusion.

The acting part is trying to look busy, even when I am not. :+)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts