Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in counseling for social anxiety and other anxiety-related issues. While I feel I'm benefitting somewhat from the sessions, the counselor mentioned last time that he hasn't heard from me any "defining moment" or anything to explain why I have these problems. We are, in his words, searching for the "spider in the labyrinth" but the spider remains hidden.

I wish I could come up with something, but the truth is, I've had a pretty easy life. My parents were always loving and supportive. They had an unhappy marriage and they divorced when I was seven, but lots of kids go through divorce. I've never known any form of abuse, neglect or poverty. I never lived through any trauma or catastrophe. I never endured bullying in school. None the less, anxiety reared its ugly head and I've had trouble relating to other people since at least kindergraten (I'm 40 now).

Do any of you have S.A. in spite of having a good upbringing and loving parents? Are any of you still struggling to find an explanation? Is it conceivable for there to be a purely biological or neurochemical basis for S.A.?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
In many cases there is a genetic component-from what I've read of others experiences there is often one or more triggers but that is not always the case. Not sure you'll ever find the "spider".

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a bit mystified by the state of my self-esteem too, because my parents were constantly telling me how great I was :roll. Maybe too much, and when the world didn't agree it came as a shock :lol. But I'm not sure that looking back at the past tends to help with anxiety in the present, unless there is a particularly serious trauma that you haven't dealt with. It's about coping skills in the here and now. I tend to be very reflective about the past, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't help me. It just tends to hold me back.

·
Banned
497 Posts
I'm currently in counseling for social anxiety and other anxiety-related issues. While I feel I'm benefitting somewhat from the sessions, the counselor mentioned last time that he hasn't heard from me any "defining moment" or anything to explain why I have these problems. We are, in his words, searching for the "spider in the labyrinth" but the spider remains hidden.

I wish I could come up with something, but the truth is, I've had a pretty easy life. My parents were always loving and supportive. They had an unhappy marriage and they divorced when I was seven, but lots of kids go through divorce. I've never known any form of abuse, neglect or poverty. I never lived through any trauma or catastrophe. I never endured bullying in school. None the less, anxiety reared its ugly head and I've had trouble relating to other people since at least kindergraten (I'm 40 now).

Do any of you have S.A. in spite of having a good upbringing and loving parents? Are any of you still struggling to find an explanation? Is it conceivable for there to be a purely biological or neurochemical basis for S.A.?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
this doest even matter. its not nessecary to know were your SA came from . it can elp to unerstand the problem but its not nessecary to making a recovery

parts of my SA are batantly obvious were they came from for example my fear of rejection is a result of so many rejections i recieved as a child. but there are other parts of my SA that i havent got a clue were they came from for example ive got this beleif ''i have to act according to who other people think i am'' and that beleif really effects my behvaiour in a negative way. it causes so much conflict in who ia m and stops me from showing people who iam . no i have no idea why i have that particualr fear/issue

all that matter is that you know what you ar affraid of , what your beleifs are , and then you change them. were they came from doesnt matter

timeline therapy could really help you though. you can use it for negative emotions or limiting decisions (beleifs).

if you have fear then when you use timeline therapy for the negative emoiton of fear your mind will take you back to the very first event that triggered the fear. also for beleif it will take you back to the very first time you made that limiting decision

1 - 4 of 4 Posts