Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have been around 200lbs for about a year now. At my height 6'2" it's an okay weight...I am lean at this weight but I also want to gain a few pounds and be around 210-212lbs eventually. The problem is that I have a really low appetite for some reason. Coupled with my active lifestyle I am having troubles maintaining my body weight much less gaining weight.

I try to eat calorie dense foods and also eat a lot of fat from nutritional sources such as nuts, avocados, etc. But I just get too full too fast. I am also drinking protein shakes with peanut butter in between meals just to get enough calories in everyday. What is a good way to take in more calories without having to stuff your face in?

559 Posts
This is so off topic but, oh how I wish I had your problem OP. :yes I have nothing productive to contribute, so I'll be bowing out of this thread in...3...2...1. Right after I say...Good luck with your goal OP! :clap Ya...I'm odd. :lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wait.. why did I even post that? You said you try to eat calorie dense foods which is good. It may be important to know though, from the info you gave, you would need to eat about 3500 calories to maintain your current body weight with an active lifestyle. To increase in weight you would have to eat about 4100 calories. It makes it easier to know how many calories you need to eat a day instead of guessing. More peace of mind.

The key to remember is you shouldn't worry about the volume of food you have to eat. Instead, It's more of how frequent you have to eat. Start eating about 5 - 6 small meals a day. As your body adjusts to the increase in meal frequency, you will be able to make small increases in the volume until your total calorie requirements are met.

I have the same problem as you, I get full really fast. I wasn't much of a food person. I'm 5' 11" and I was able to maintain a 140-150 lb body weight for a long time without even trying. I was really skinny. I'm now about 180 lb.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the problem is there is no way I can eat that many calories. It's just too much food. Even with carefully eating the most fattening foods possible it's still hard to reach that number. I still want to be healthy so I don't want to just pig out on ice cream and cheeseburgers though.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3500 calories just to maintain is A LOT. Mixed nuts would be the only idea I would have to offer but you already do that.
Yeah it is a lot. I don't think I eat that much though. Maybe around 3000 calories. But with my low appetite it's hard to eat that much. Why was I cursed with this slim body?!?!

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
Yeah it is a lot. I don't think I eat that much though. Maybe around 3000 calories. But with my low appetite it's hard to eat that much. Why was I cursed with this slim body?!?!
Better than being overweight and having to deal with the health consequences that come with excessive weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wait.. why did I even post that? You said you try to eat calorie dense foods which is good. It may be important to know though, from the info you gave, you would need to eat about 3500 calories to maintain your current body weight with an active lifestyle. To increase in weight you would have to eat about 4100 calories. It makes it easier to know how many calories you need to eat a day instead of guessing. More peace of mind.

The key to remember is you shouldn't worry about the volume of food you have to eat. Instead, It's more of how frequent you have to eat. Start eating about 5 - 6 small meals a day. As your body adjusts to the increase in meal frequency, you will be able to make small increases in the volume until your total calorie requirements are met.

I have the same problem as you, I get full really fast. I wasn't much of a food person. I'm 5' 11" and I was able to maintain a 140-150 lb body weight for a long time without even trying. I was really skinny. I'm now about 180 lb.
Wow so you gained 30 lbs how did you do it bc im having a very hard time too. I try to eat at least 4 small meals and I drink protein shakes. I have pcos so Im also kind of restricitve of what I can eat. For pcos I try to keep a low gi diet but Im 5'3 and 107 lbs:afr . I want to gain at least 15 lbs:yes

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
My best friend tried to go on a body building diet. He tried to argue that he could maintain eating like 6 eggs for breakfast, 4 chicken breasts at a time, salads, and protein powder shakes by the bucket(the 25kg bucket!). He maintained it for about 5 months got an awesome body... and then gave up trying to eat that much food. It is just stupid. Not only could NO ONE AFFORD TO BUY 4400 calories of healthy food a DAY! But they would be doing NOTHING but eating, drinking, working out, grocery shopping, ****ting, pissing and sleeping! And MAYBE just MAYBE they might find 10 minutes at the end of the day to have their wonderful sex life... before the day repeated itself. Wow what a life! I understand that even with the afterburn effect and increasing your appetite to beyond, you still have to spend a good portion of your time simply eating like crazy (6 meals a day is correct!) and going the washroom all the time (6-8+ times a day???). Not to mention when you eat THAT MUCH FOOD, you are going to either have a restaurant next door willing to do your cooking or a grocery store willing to supply you with variety, you will eventually get sick of eating the same thing over and over and over again... Unless of course you were the type of person who could eat the same thing for dinner every night for the past 15-20 yearS!! What an UNSUSTAINABLE lifestyle that is!

As for those who say, "oh well your lucky cause you don't have to lose weight". Losing weight is the ABSENCE of work. The body's default setting when you do nothing, is to STARVE itself not get FAT. This is explained in my quote of the "There is no such thing as a fat ethopian!".

Body building diet takes WAYYYY more work than simply the absence of doing anything at all and letting the default action for your body to do its own thing. Eating is work, working out for sure is hell work too! Then somehow you gotta have a day job to support all this massive grocery and gym bill! And of course your social life isnt very meaningful and prolly consists of tons of meaningless sex leaving you empty and unhappy 1 minute afterwards. Never having any time to actually learn about the world around you, become enlightened, give back to the world in a form other than just physical labour, to seek out your hobbies, pursue relationships built on actual chemistry and love, rather than just senseless meaningless instinctual boring sex. Eventually you are gonna become old anyways. Beauty fades, but personality is forever!

I will still like to calculate the best scientific way to find a balance between a sexy healthy body and actually having a god damn life that has some purpose behind it. I'm working on it, but I am starting with a nutritionist to start eating correctly. I see eating healthy as on a continuum with mcdonalds/no effort on one end and perfection health extreme life unbalance on the other end. I am just passing neutral as I've purged ALL fast food from my diet for life and am working on eating healthier foods.

I find it pointless to be 5'10.5" 166 lbs if 25 lbs of that is just belly body fat that is useless other than to make the numbers on the scale read higher. I think I've peaked out on the amount of body fat I can use for my body build and just wish to add muscle mass from now on. I lost the belly gut and seek to add muscle. I will continue allocating a certain set amount of resources to achieving a higher physical healthy well built body as I know that somewhere in a healthy balance, there is also proper mental health and physical health, not just physique =)

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^^
So in summary... You are saying people who work out a few hours a week and have lots of muscle are losers and have a pathetic existence... and you will be trying to get muscle, but because your smarter you will be the exception to the rule ?

I have a few friends that are massive. Most of them them spend 4-5 hours working out each week, and an extra 30 mins each day eating (not including brkfast/lunch/dinner).. I think your being a little dramatic...:roll

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^
So in summary... You are saying people who work out a few hours a week and have lots of muscle are losers and have a pathetic existence... and you will be trying to get muscle, but because your smarter you will be the exception to the rule ?

I have a few friends that are massive. Most of them them spend 4-5 hours working out each week, and an extra 30 mins each day eating (not including brkfast/lunch/dinner).. I think your being a little dramatic...:roll
Yeah..I don't understand the point of that rant but whatever. I actually enjoying working out and playing sports. It's just that with my activity level and low appetite I literally have to force feed myself food. And now that I am trying to eat healthy it's expensive and the amount of food is almost staggering.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My best friend tried to go on a body building diet. He tried to argue that he could maintain eating like 6 eggs for breakfast, 4 chicken breasts at a time, salads, and protein powder shakes by the bucket(the 25kg bucket!). He maintained it for about 5 months got an awesome body... and then gave up trying to eat that much food. It is just stupid. ...
Wow,for people who are supposed to have social anxiety disorder, you guys sure can talk a lot, lol. I'm not trying to be a smart *** , just kinda envious. I actually do enjoy your posts.

Wow so you gained 30 lbs how did you do it bc im having a very hard time too. I try to eat at least 4 small meals and I drink protein shakes. I have pcos so Im also kind of restricitve of what I can eat. For pcos I try to keep a low gi diet but Im 5'3 and 107 lbs:afr . I want to gain at least 15 lbs:yes
It really isn't that difficult to do. It's basically just simple mathmatics. You must consume more calories than you burn. Burn more calories than you consume, you will lose body weight. Consume the same amount of calories that you burn, your bodyweight will stay the same. And I'm not saying to eat whatever you want because you will gain weight but it might not be the weight that you may want. The types of calories you consume will determine the type of bodyweight you gain whither it be fat or muscle. For example Protein is 4 g, Carbs is 4 g, and fat is 9 g. You just have to eat food from the right muscle building sources.

Yeah..I don't understand the point of that rant but whatever. I actually enjoying working out and playing sports. It's just that with my activity level and low appetite I literally have to force feed myself food. And now that I am trying to eat healthy it's expensive and the amount of food is almost staggering.
It does seem like a lot at first but after awhile of getting into doing it, it just becomes second nature. You really don't have to obsess about the numbers, just be somewhere around them and you will be fine. The idea is to keep your body in an anabolic state so your body doesn't begin to burn up the protein stored in your muscles which means eating a high protein source every 2 -3 hours. I use the Harris-Benedict formula, Go ahead and find the right caloric numbers for yourself. Your actually on the right track, just replace some of those meals with protein shacks and a side of some good fats. When I started lifting weights a while back I was on a 3000 to 3500 calorie diet and typical day for me looked something like this for example:

Breakfast:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup egg white powder / 35 g protein powder /or 5-7 eggs
1 1/2 cup cottage cheese or another dairy
2 cups oatmeal / cereal or whole wheat toast
Some servings of fruit
Handful of cashews / or a few tbsp of peanut butter

Snack
25 grams of protein powder /
Milk
Peanut butter

Lunch
Chicken / Tuna
Whatever greens you like
1 Cup of a serving of fuit
2 tsp of Olive oil or flaxseed

Snack

1/4 Cottage cheese or peanut butter ( I like peanut butter lol)
A few servings of fruit
1 oz of oatmeal or whatever healthy carb you have

Dinner
8 oz lean beef
A serving of some dairy / yogurt or whatever
2 servings of greens of your choice
9 Almonds
1 2/3 tsp Olive or Flax

Snack
25 grams of protein powder
1/3 cup of oatmeal / whole wheat toast
1 tsp Olive/flax
2 cups milk

You can just mix around those Carbs, fats and protein with what you have at your home. Most of the time you can just substitute protein shakes and add a few servings of some slow release carbs and good fats. It's a good idea to take some olive oil or flax oil everyday anyway. All you have to do is read up, find some good advice like I did and just stick with it. That's it.

Simple enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay I have been around 200lbs for about a year now. At my height 6'2" it's an okay weight...I am lean at this weight but I also want to gain a few pounds and be around 210-212lbs eventually. The problem is that I have a really low appetite for some reason. Coupled with my active lifestyle I am having troubles maintaining my body weight much less gaining weight.

I try to eat calorie dense foods and also eat a lot of fat from nutritional sources such as nuts, avocados, etc. But I just get too full too fast. I am also drinking protein shakes with peanut butter in between meals just to get enough calories in everyday. What is a good way to take in more calories without having to stuff your face in?
Woah, you're exactly like me. I'm about 205, trying to get up to 225. I have to eat like a madman in order to maintain my weight. I started taking a weight gainer twice a day for easy calories. I also count my calories so I can gradually increase my food intake each week if my weight stalls.

·
Easy
884 Posts
It says that at 6"2 the ideal body weight would be 172-197lb for people with a large body frame. If you're lean at 6"2, 200lb, then your near enough perfect body wise, dont know why you'd want to gain more weight, its just gona cost more money to maintain.

But still, whats your mood like before you eat?, appetite has a lot to do with your mood and how you're feeling. Like for me, i cant eat half a meal a day if im feeling down and depressed. Should probably reflect on how you're feeling before a meal.

Also weight gainer shakes instead of the protein shakes should help more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It says that at 6"2 the ideal body weight would be 172-197lb for people with a large body frame. If you're lean at 6"2, 200lb, then your near enough perfect body wise, dont know why you'd want to gain more weight, its just gona cost more money to maintain.

But still, whats your mood like before you eat?, appetite has a lot to do with your mood and how you're feeling. Like for me, i cant eat half a meal a day if im feeling down and depressed. Should probably reflect on how you're feeling before a meal.

Also weight gainer shakes instead of the protein shakes should help more.
I think he is looking specifically into building more muscle mass onto his frame not just weight in general.

And about the appetite thing, I have also noticed I am able to eat more food then usual after I had finished working out. So, I suppose it does have a lot to do on your mindset and how your body is feeling.

·
Avernus
791 Posts
I have an opposite weight problem: I tend to gain easily so most of my knowledge is geared toward weight reduction.

I've become a big fan of dark chocolate, though. And by dark I mean between 70-90% raw cacao, which is a very calorie/fat dense, but healthy food. It shouldn't be eaten in large quanties and won't solve your problem by itself, but it might help to add some dark chocolate to your diet everyday.
Coconut milk is another great source of calories/saturated fat. Along with nuts, I consider them some of the healthiest sources of saturated fat.

If you don't eat much already, adding more grains/pasta to your diet could help, as well. Whole grains tend to be very filling, however. Quinoa is a great source of protein, but it feels fairly light going in. I find I need to eat large quanties of it to feel satisfied.

Do you eat eggs very often? Don't remove the yolks. While they have some cholesterol, it's relatively little compared to what you'd get in a cheeseburger.

I hope some of this helps/makes sense.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think he is looking specifically into building more muscle mass onto his frame not just weight in general.
Yeah I want to gain some more lean body mass.

I've become a big fan of dark chocolate, though. And by dark I mean between 70-90% raw cacao, which is a very calorie/fat dense, but healthy food. It shouldn't be eaten in large quanties and won't solve your problem by itself, but it might help to add some dark chocolate to your diet everyday.
Coconut milk is another great source of calories/saturated fat. Along with nuts, I consider them some of the healthiest sources of saturated fat.
Good tip about the dark chocolate. I already drink coconut milk and consume whole omega-3 enriched eggs. I could probably eat more carbs but bread, pasta, rice is soo filling. That's the problem. I already consume lots of protein and fats so I guess bumping up my carb intake would be the next step.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm gonna jump on board and say that if you eat 5 small meals a day, it is better than eating 3 big ones. Also, your nutrition doesn't have to be expensive. There are LOTS of recipes on the internet, thousands of them. You don't have to worry about getting bored with what you eat if you aren't lazy and try new things to cook. It's easy to just pop a hot pocket in the microwave, and it is very hard to try and eat healthy while not breaking the bank but if you are committed to getting healthy and fit, I believe it is money well invested.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts