Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched it last night, on Starz.

It is a good movie. The acting is very good. No; in fact the acting is excellent. However, the problem with excellent acting, and a story like this, is it is terribly depressing !

This movie makes Titanic look like an action movie. This movie, is like sitting listening to Evanescence "My Immortal" on repeat for 3 hrs. ( I know the movie is 2 hrs, but it feels like 3). Which it pretty much was, considering the soundtrack.

I wouldn't recommend this for S.A.ers, and I sure wouldn't want anyone who has contemplated suicide, to watch this movie.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I just watched it last night, on Starz.

It is a good movie. The acting is very good. No; in fact the acting is excellent. However, the problem with excellent acting, and a story like this, is it is terribly depressing !

This movie makes Titanic look like an action movie. This movie, is like sitting listening to Evanescence "My Immortal" on repeat for 3 hrs. ( I know the movie is 2 hrs, but it feels like 3). Which it pretty much was, considering the soundtrack.

I wouldn't recommend this for S.A.ers, and I sure wouldn't want anyone who has contemplated suicide, to watch this movie.
I agree. A total buzz kill. What's funny about it is that it came out during Christmas :lol

I do have to quibble a bit, however, with the quality of the movie. Will Smith did that classic constipated-but-still-wants-to-kiss-you look a bit too much. And...

*brief spoiler*

the scene where he kills himself with the jellyfish I found just ridiculous.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,121 Posts
I'm actually a fan of films of this style simply because it puts the sad aspects of life on display. To me it feels like a balancing of the coin as not all of life is fun & games. That said I agree, you have to pick a time for these types of films or they can really throw you off

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I've really wanted to see it but no one will watch it with me because of the depressing part haha. I don't wanna watch it alone!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've never even heard of it, though I'm not a movie fan.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree with Canadian Brutha, however, I also believe that depending on your interpretation of the film, you can see it plainly as either completely positive or view it in a negative light.

I like to think the level of depth his plan for redemtion demonstrates to the viewer his level of courage and strength and also exhibits his overall good will and kind nature. Bearing that in mind, the end result is a sad one, of course, but as each film is intended, there are also negative feelings attached to the positive lessons. It has a lot to offer in terms of both its substance and level of appeal. Loved it. Not many films keep me on the edge of my seat.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I saw it. It was good. I don't remember how I felt after it though. Movies that make me depressed tend to stick out to me and I don't remember this one doing that, but my memory sucks.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
*brief spoiler*

the scene where he kills himself with the jellyfish I found just ridiculous.
At this point I left the room and apologised for picking out Seven Pounds at the video store. Somehow this movie managed to be disturbing and ridiculous at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts