Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
@strange_world

don’t worry you didn’t need to ask.
I personally don’t judge my own appearance harshly, most other people don’t either I think but there have been a few moments that lasted a couple of months in the past where some people seemed to struggle with my looks. It is their problem not mine lol
But the voice I did struggle with, it is what you get when an entire class starts laughing everytime you open your mouth lol. It is conditioned in my brain, not much I can change about it anymore now lol

Those relationships must have been very good for your overall life experiences, you definitely should remember the things you learned from them and cherish the good moments. I have always been too shy or even anxious to start a relationship, I have never let any girl get close to me even though some seemed to want to get to know me but that was also a long time ago.
Thanks - I should be more grateful for my good luck. I used internet dating and was lucky to meet a couple of sympathetic people. Internet dating is a really good way of meeting people if you have SA imho. It can take out a lot of the anxiety of actually making first contact with people.

School was the worst wasn't it! I still remember all my embarassing stuff to this day. I was in a really terrible band at school. I played bass. I remember us trying to play in front of a room full of people and all of our instruments were out of tune! We could hardly play the things, either. No applause, complete silence. I tried to fit in at school by playing music and doing sports but I wasn't any good at either and it just led to more embarassment.

Anyway to stay on-topic: I'm too shy to approach people, I reveal way too many potentially off-putting things about myself (like my past problems with psychosis and self-harm) and I'm a bit awkward and over-enthusiastic as well so friends probably aren't a thing I'm going to do on here.

·
customusertitle
877 Posts
There are only a couple of people I’m comfortable talking with (sort of). There were a bit more but none of them post here anymore.
There’s one person back in 2017 I was excited talking to at first, we even moved to emails to be able to send longer messages. But eventually we stopped talking after a couple of months.

I think how you define the term is arbitrary. I used to be liberal with the term years ago, but now I’m very conservative with it.

I think some people probably actively hate me on this site. I sometimes wish more people here liked me, so at least I’d feel comfortable posting here (which 90% of the time I don’t).

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
I have in the past - we used to Skype very regularly. I miss them. Not in touch with anyone from here at the moment which is a shame.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Even by a loose, internet-based definition of "friend," no. But that's on me; I'm incapable of trusting anyone to not be a psychopath, cyberstalker, identity thief, etc. I'm a very introverted person so most of the time I have no interest in "connecting" with anyone. Plus I think it's just a bad idea to try and befriend someone via a mental illness site... I had a bad experience with that once before, with someone who seemed amazing at first but turned out to be a neurotic, dependent mess. Not doing that again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Even by a loose, internet-based definition of "friend," no. But that's on me; I'm incapable of trusting anyone to not be a psychopath, cyberstalker, identity thief, etc. I'm a very introverted person so most of the time I have no interest in "connecting" with anyone. Plus I think it's just a bad idea to try and befriend someone via a mental illness site... I had a bad experience with that once before, with someone who seemed amazing at first but turned out to be a neurotic, dependent mess. Not doing that again.
I know the feeling. I met somebody from an SA site, a long time ago. We were speaking by phone and met up once. He was a decent guy with interesting things to say for the most part, but he had some anger issues, most often about women, that became more and more obvious as time went on. It was a shame as he was otherwise a pretty decent bloke.

·
alien monk
8,652 Posts
i don't really like to interact with people directly, so no. when i do say things it goes poorly 90% of the time. its ok to be around the same people at a massive distance and get to know the kind of things they say on the internet etc etc. a few with similar ideas... thats all. i used to want to chat with people sometimes. no more.

·
Failure's Art
2,461 Posts
Not really. I'm really bad with maintaining relationships, whether online or irl. It's requires too much effort tbh. I will always default to a solitary lifestyle, it's how I'm wired. There are a lot of people on here who I do find really interesting and whose posts I really genuinely do enjoy reading, but I'm just not friend material. I can maintain acquaintanceships with people but that is about as close as I can get to anyone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No, but I'm not too bothered. There's maybe two other members from my country and I don't particularly consider people I talk to on forums "friends." I have, however, made friends on local SA forums, and one of them even helped me a great deal when I was starting therapy.

RE: the discussion on the second page. Definitely "vet" people you meet through mental health sites before you agree to meet them in person. I've had bad experiences in the past and now I don't even propose the idea of arranging a meetup unless I've talked to them in group chats for weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I joined a few minutes ago & its my 1st tym being in a group chat online. Ironic how this chat group is giving me anxiety 😅

·
Mad Scientist
1,114 Posts
No. I think I've only spoken to two people privately on here. I don't think I'm very approachable.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Did have one friend here in 2012 but all we did was argue via private message, the following year they got fed up with me and we stop speaking to each other. Other than that I haven't made any friends here.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Yeah, I guess so. In so far as I used to chat to some fairly regularly, either by DMs/VMs/Skype (mainly text & occasionally voice). But they faded over time. I still keep in contact with a few on an occasional basis, which is fine.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have in the past - we used to Skype very regularly. I miss them. Not in touch with anyone from here at the moment which is a shame.
We touched on this before, I was in one of those skype calls one time (when I was Neo, maybe more than once? At least once anyway) - with you and a couple of your 'regulars'. One of whom is one of those I keep in contact with now and again. She has been trying to get over here to visit (not me, just the location) - was supposed to be this year but you know... there's a bug going around. She seems to be doing alright.

Reactions: harrison

·
bipolar
17,184 Posts
We touched on this before, I was in one of those skype calls one time (when I was Neo, maybe more than once? At least once anyway) - with you and a couple of your 'regulars'. One of whom is one of those I keep in contact with now and again. She has been trying to get over here to visit (not me, just the location) - was supposed to be this year but you know... there's a bug going around. She seems to be doing alright.
I remember you mate - and I remember at least one of the times we spoke. Hope things are going okay for you - and glad to hear our mutual friend is doing okay too. Please say hello for me next time you speak to her.

·
drifting in mist
676 Posts
There's a bunch of people that I like and would be friends with if I could but no. I'm unable to interact with people 1 on 1.

·
Floating
1,219 Posts
I remember you mate - and I remember at least one of the times we spoke. Hope things are going okay for you - and glad to hear our mutual friend is doing okay too. Please say hello for me next time you speak to her.
I miss the calls and chats. My anxiety was always through the roof, but you were always incredibly friendly and kept the conversations flowing in such a smooth, natural way.

Hope you're doing well.

Edit:
I forgot to answer the question. I made several friends on this site, but most of us have drifted apart over the years. We randomly touch base every once in a while and I'll forever be grateful to many of them for helping me though some difficult times.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts