Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this. I have long hair ( I wear it long and straight) and don't wear make up and am not really a frilly girly girl type. I like jewelery but I don't wear dresses and skirts because I have hideous scars on my legs from some type of skin infection (doc thought it was mild MRSA). I won't wear shorts because of that either. Because I don't have a social life and I'm not always talking about guys I have had people (primarily women) assume I'm gay and act really uncomfortable around me to the point of avoiding me. Where I live gay women can look like anything from girly girl to very butch, so changing my appearance won't change anything. If I try talking to men, most of the time I have another problem and they think I'm hitting on them (and aren't interested back) because I get nervous!

Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it? I don't want to date for the sake of dating but I don't want people avoiding me and gossiping about me either!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
This is a topic that comes up on SAS on a fairly regular basis. The fact that you're not pursing women romantically should clue them in that you may not be gay.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
In high school, yeah. But in high school, everyone digs for reasons to pick on each other. It hasn't come up at all in college.

·
I like to shoot jumpshots
291 Posts
it is most likely they know you are straight but to insult you they will call you gay.

pretty common especially for teens in HS or Middle school.

college though it's different.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
Most people probably think I'm gay just because I'm so manly, as though that's a prerequisite to be a lesbian in their distorted minds. I don't really feel comfortable discussing sexuality anyway, so I avoid it when it comes up... which probably doesn't help. I don't know what to do about it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My work colleagues think I'm gay. My problem stems from never saying anything in response to their jibes, so they tend to see this as some sort of admission. Thick bas**rds!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
To my face....no. Behind my back, yes. I've had both close friends and family assume it behind my back. I always heard it from another friend/family member though. I don't even remember the conversations that brought it up, but they would mention that "so-and-so think's you're gay". My response was usually "I don't care if they think I'm gay". Honestly, people that judge me based on my sexual preferences aren't really people I want to hang around anyways.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
My own mom thinks I might be lesbian, but not because I don't have a relationship. It's because I talk to so many gay guys. She thinks 'gayness' is catching or something, I don't know, but the rest of my family thinks it, too, so yeah... :roll
My mom actually says that if I keep talking to gay guys, I'll 'turn' gay.
Even if I point out a cute guy in a crowd or something, I always get the skeptical look and the 'I never see you talking to any guys, if you like them so much, then.' Uh, I don't talk to any girls, either, if that's the case. I don't understand how some people think sometimes. :con

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
I sometimes get called gay cuz i wear button down shirts n tank tops .

**** em .

In regards to SO nah i aint been called gay cuz of that.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,297 Posts
I think people may assume this about me but only once has anyone said it to my face. It was in a movie rental shop with my bro. He was talking to the guy at the counter & I stood there quietly instead of chatting(or hitting on) the gal that was there as well. The guy behind the counter eventually slipped a "What are you gay?" comment which was directed at me. Another chip off my self-esteem

I don't really feel comfortable discussing sexuality anyway, so I avoid it when it comes up... which probably doesn't help. I don't know what to do about it.
I'm the same when it comes to sexuality, it doesn't help at all

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think my grandfather thinks I'm gay. Every time he visits he asks if I've met any girls, and I always ry to shrug the question off without giving a real answer. To his knowlege I've never been involved with any girls(which is true) but he takes it as implying I'm gay, whereas my other family members just realize that I'm really shy.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I sometimes get called gay cuz i wear button down shirts n tank tops .

**** em .

In regards to SO nah i aint been called gay cuz of that.
Are you kidding? I wish I could pull that off! :lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't know if anyone thinks this. One time, though, I was on stage when I went to college during a break in play practice for the college's theater group that I was in when I overheard the boyfriend of a girl in theater group (who I'm quite infatuated with, even now) talking to her on the other side of a set wall. I can't remember but I must have said something or did something demonstrating my straightness (I hadn't realized I was bi then) because he said something like "He's not gay?" in a surprised voice to her. This misconception is understandable though as not only was I guy in theater I had played an effeminate gay man in the only play he'd seen me in (a part that originally for a woman but was changed to an effeminate gay man because they're were more guys than girls, so was REALLY effeminate). I just take it as a sign of how good of an actor I am.:D

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My mom also thought I was gay because I was never into the dating scene in high school. She was like, "Do you like girls?" Ughhh

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I'd be flattered; it's more likely they assume that I'm a closeted serial rapist of the elderly or something.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Yeah, a couple of my friends have asked me. They always jokingly tell me its ok if I am. I'm not, though. Its still embarrassing when people ask.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts