1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I went to the GP with my boyfriend, I said
as much as I could to the doctor..which was about one sentence
and had already coached my bf as to what I would want him
to say if I froze.

Family was a much tougher challenge I spent weeks thinking about ways I could tell them which would soften the blow. But having been to the dr. and been refered to a psych.
I felt like I had proof if you know what I mean? Sad that my I didnt feel my whole life experiences wernt proof enough.
It wasnt easy as my mum hates 'sick people':roll
and my dad is old-school and thinks these things are all nonsence.
It took a good couple of months..probably three before things cooled
down again, they still don't like to talk about it except for breifly
but it did get better.
And I really believe that in their hearts they know I'm like this and not just making it up/taking my self too seriously etc.

Super condenced version >.<

I tried to tell my best friend but she didnt really understand, mainly
because when we spend time together it's never anything that triggers my anxiety and I feel protective of her which makes me act super brave.

·
wondering
65 Posts
I hope your post gets some examples of how people were able to do this. I do not know how I could tell any family member about this without feeling really stupid..and I have a husband of 26 years, 2 kids, 5 sisters and one brother! yes I have trust issues :) I plan on going to a counselor soon, and some of these posts have really great descriptions of their SA and same feelings I have, so I plan to "borrow" their words to use when he asks me "So...tell me how you feel?"

·
Just me.
63 Posts
The only one I've told, except all of you of course, is my long term boyfriend. He relates because he also suffers from SA. I haven't said anything to my family because I'm not sure how they'd react.

·
Just me.
63 Posts
The main problem I'm having with getting help is that I have to get a referral from my primary doctor. Its embarrassing to tell my doctor I need to go to a shrink. What id my doctor has no experience with SA and thinks I'm a wierdo or a hypochondriac?

I'm looking forward to seeing how other people have dealt with anxiety about getting help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't tell people because I feel like they wouldn't know what I was talking about unless they had experienced it too. I wish I could tell my doctor, just to see if there's something that could be prescribed just to use on occasion for panic-inducing situations like job interviews and stuff, but I've spent so many years desperately trying to appear normal, and it's really difficult for me to bring it up. If he asked if I had SA, I'd have no problem saying, oh god, yes, please help me, but I doubt that's going to happen. The fact that I hardly ever go to the doctor doesn't help either. :O(

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
After I told my parents about my SA they took me to a therapist. After that my Dad gave me an appointment to see a doctor. I just told the doctor that I was suffering from SA and he gave me a prescription for Zoloft. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Its great to have someone to talk to about your anxiety. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to tell your parents. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
After I had my son the depression really hit hard because of the time that I had to spend in the hospital was just one of the worst experiences in my life.It was the people that were painful to me,not the baby.Then I had to go back to get my galbladder taken out.All the people that I just couldn't hide from.Thank God for the morphine and the ambien.lol.Well thats when I told my doc about the depression and anxiety.He put me on lexapro.It helped for the first year as far as the depression,but didn't help my anxiety at all.Then tried effexor.Didn't work.Plus I have a hard enough time being awake and active during the day and those drugs make it harder.Now I'm on zanex only when I need it for the anxiety.I only need them once or twice a week when I go shopping or to my boyfriends familys house.As for the depression?Getting things done around the house helps and going outside.Knowing that my son had a good day helps too.I was so scared to go to the doc about this,but he is very understanding.I'm a mess before,during,and after I need to go to him even I don't have to be.Its a good thing I did,because my bloodpressure needed some attention.

·
Improving
987 Posts
I had never told anyone about my SA in my whole life. Just suffered through it the best I could. About 2 years ago I became extremely depressed about being so lonely that each day I wished I wouldn't wake up the next. It got to the point that I knew I had to get some help. Finding and calling a therapist was extremely difficult but I finally did it. Immediately after my first session I felt an enormous load lifted from my shoulders.

After months of making some progress in therapy my therapist recommended I talk to my GP to get some meds as well. Again it was hard but I just came right out and told my GP I had been seeing a therapist for SA and would like to try some meds too. He asked me a couple simple questions and gave me an Rx for Prozac. When that didn't help he referred me to a psychiatrist so I had to tell another Dr about it. He had me answer questions on some forms to diagnose me and prescribed lexapro. A couple months later he added welbutrin and my anxiety was reduced quite a bit.

At this point, I was able to tell a friend about my SA and she was very understanding and supportive. Since then I have been able to tell my son as well and found that he has similar feelings to a lesser degree and understood completely.

I greatly feared telling each person I have told, but after have always been very glad that I did. I don't know where I'd be now if I hadn't told my therapist and doctors about it. None were judgemental and all understood and did everything they could to help me.

I strongly recommend that anyone avoiding telling their doctor about it or celling a therapist go ahead and do so. I think you will be happy that you did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say

I really didnt have a hard time telling my family. They are all supportive of me, and help me out when i need it. It was a lil embarassing at first for me. Still is, too tell people. But I think once you get it out in the open, it feels alot better. I am going to counseling, have been for awhile now. I dont like the therapists/ counselors that ask how do you feel. It drives me crazy, cuz you never know what to say. But if you tell them, could they ask a more direct question, I think it would be easier. Just thought I would post a reply to this thread.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I was diagnosed by a psychologist who had to tell my mom since I was a minor. My younger brother knows only because he's heard arguments between my mom and me. I told one of my uncles once for some reason. But he lives in another country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To those who are hesitant about telling their family and doctor about their social anxiety, think of it this way: Would you rather keep your social anxiety a secret or start on the path to recovery?

The sooner you tell your doctor about it, the sooner you can decide on the proper course of action (meds, therapy, etc.). If your doctor doesn't feel comfortable dealing with social anxiety, he will gladly refer you to someone who is. Remember that doctors are there to HELP, it is their job.

The sooner you tell your family about it, the sooner you will be able to stop "acting normal" in front of them in an effort to hide your social anxiety. Also, I think many of you would be surprised how supportive your family will be.

I waited a long time to seek help for my social anxiety, but it is easily the best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I haven't told them, but they "know". :par
I doubt they know actually. For example I was at lunch yesterday with my family suffering the whole time from my SA with all the physical tells and nervous twitches I feel give it away. They didn't even know I was in great pain and discomfort until I said I had a terrible headache(really SA) which they acted really suprised about. Alot of the time its just not as aparent as you think it is.

But about the topic I told my dad in an awkward conversation that I felt nervous all the time and thought I had an anxiety disorder. I then got a therapist and I think my parents just thought I was just shy and going through a tough time. I think overtime they realized its not that and I really do have an axiety disorder. It took my dad talking to my therapist for an hour I think to really understand it. I think my mom doesn't really get it still though but I'm hoping to have my therapist talk to her.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes my mother took me to a doctor and i told the doctor.
I was nervous and anxious as hell and my doctor listenned to my heartbeat and she said that's not a normal heartbeat its quite fast.
So i talked and finally opened up about it and i got a referrel and a prescription to zoloft.
I wish i had KNOWN what i had was called socail anxiety and gotten help for it years ago.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Both - I have been to a doctor off an on for the last 9 years. My family knows - it's just anxiety. It's more common than people think and most don't even know they have it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.