Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever been offered a position at work and took it cause you were to shy to say no, but from the moment you started you didnt like it and now you are at your wits end and dont even want to wake up the next day because the new position isnt what you thought it would be? Well thats how i feel this job just isnt for me and the thing is that my old boss said if it didnt work that i could come back to my old position. i guess i am just scared of what people will think of me but i just cant take it no more. has anyone else quit a position at work they just couldnt take?

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Yes, many times. I've quit every job I've ever had for those exact reasons.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have quit a lot of positions, some even on the first day, mostly because of the other people.
Oh yeah, that feeling of not wanting to get up and go to work the next morning because its a job that I was utterly miserable at.
What I have been trying to do is find a job that will fit my personality. The few jobs I have been offered I turned down because it is not the right type of environment.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yeah I hate my new position. I want to ask for a demotion but my company got rid of my old position. I'm looking for something else. I'll be taking a huge pay cut too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If your old boss said you could come back, go back UNLESS your new position is viewed as a promotion. People will only care if youve been moved up and chose to go back down. And by care, i mean they will ask you about it for like a week, then after that you might hear about it once every few months, if ever at all. And if they ask, be honest. Say what you didnt like about the new position and what you prefer in the old. Chances are, its a good reason and they will agree. Or they will be an ignorant moron and still be confused about why you switched, in which case they arent worth caring about.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im gonna stick with it...i am in the IT department and its gotten better. i gotta lot to learn but im gonna stick with it longer

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I've only had 2 formal jobs. The first one was a receptionist job. I took to it alright. I liked it. I just didn't like getting to and from work. The longer I was there, the more I dreaded it. I started getting really stressed out because I was working and going to school and worrying about graduation day (walking across a stage - woohoo), extracurricular activities...I ended up quitting the job.
The next job was in retail. I hated it. I thought that if I actually tried to experience it that maybe I'd warm up to it but no, I simply couldn't stand it. I threw up on my first day there. I was working the holiday season, too, so the entire store would get filled with people on certain days. It was a seasonal position though so I stayed through the 3 months and gladly parted ways with them.
I know that I could never work in retail again. Not as I am now anyway.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I worked at a Barnes & Noble Bookstore around 2000 or 2001. I have always been an avid reader and people told me that I should give them a try. Now, I know that I'm not a people person, never have been, but I thought "what the heck?", but I knew down deep inside that I would hate it.
First of all, this big *** company is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! Their pay is a frickin' joke. Anyway, there were 4-5 managers, with at least 1, or sometimes 2 always in the store. I started out on the morning shift. The store opens at 9, so employees are required to be there by 7. Of course, if I got there too early, the others are standing around talking boring stuff, so I would either wait in my truck for the door to open, or sit in the coffee shop nearby and watch door open.
People actually start coming in right at 9, and the minute that occurred, I would head toward the back. The main supervisor was a real b**** and she got upset with me a few times, although I was doing the best that I could. One day, however, she went too far. I was at the info booth and this guy came up wanting something. This b**** started on me about something, BUT the only thing is, she did it in front of a customer. So, I went to the back, really pissed off. At that point, I didn't care what happened, I was going to jump down this woman's throat, and I blasted her. She apologized, but this woman had no idea how to manage people.
I got to where I dreaded going in, didn't care if I was late, the usual thing that occurs when I begin hating a job.
The last 2 days I worked there, I did have fun. There were these stack of books sitting on this table, and they had been sitting there all day. I went over to get them for reshelving, and there was this ol' biddy and her wrinkled *** husband, sitting there. I start to pick up the books, KNOWING THAT THEY HAVEN"T BEEN TOUCHED, and besides this hag is reading a magazine. She says "Those are my books". I said, "No they aren't, these have been sitting here since this morning, and you haven't been here that long". I grabbed them, she tries to take them away, ol' wrinkles gets involved, and I do a slow burn, finally telling this woman, "YOU ARE CRAZY". I walked away, and a little way a manager talked to me. I didn't apologize, but said that I would watch myself.
The next morning, I had decided I was sick of this B.S., and at 7 walked in, and started screwing around with the books, taking them off the shelves and putting them in other locations. I did this for about an hour, and the old manager that I didn't get along with saw what I was doing, and said, "You aren't happy, are you?" I said, "No, I hate it here". She said that my heart wasn't in it, and I said, "THATS RIGHT!"
I didn't mean to ramble, but that was my foray in retail.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thought about it a bunch of times, especially with my current job. I was ready to quit by the end of week 1, but I hate knowing that I can't do something, so have stuck it out. Never quit a job before, no matter how boring or difficult it was.

·
JNM123
30 Posts
ive had about 20 jobs and im 21 years old.. if that says anything. my longest job lasting 2 months

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I quit a job because of a pervy boss, I just went in, got my stuff and walked the **** out. I quit the next job because the pay was ridiculously low and I had found something that paid much better.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
My first job, I was an order picker in a food warehouse. It was okay at first, but I wasn't able to keep up with production and my boss started getting onto me about it. I tried harder, but I just couldn't do it so I quit before they fired me. The pay sucked, anyway, so I don't really regret it.

My second job, I loaded trucks in a warehouse during the summer. It was insanely hot inside the trucks, over 95 degrees constantly, and having to work my *** off all day stacking boxes in that kind of heat just isn't my thing. Also, none of the other guys talked to me, and I overheard some of them making fun of me a few times, so my anxiety was pretty bad in that enviroment. I ended up walking out a few months into it. I didn't even inform them I was quitting, I just said "**** it" and left. It was a childish thing to do and I regret it somewhat.

My current job I've been tempted to quit occasionally, but I can't afford it. And the pay is pretty decent for unskilled labor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I had a job at a warehouse. I'd been making mistakes in my orders and generally screwing up a bit, guess my mind wasn't always on the job. I'd been there for a year, but it was just royally pissing me off. The radio station I had to listen to there, the boss was annoying, I was expected to get on other workers's cases about how they worked etc. I got called in to the office, he asked me how I was going to fix my mistakes, I said 'By giving two weeks notice.' He didn't like that and walked me out the door straight away. I look back and it wasn't too horrible in retrospect, but I remember how I felt while I was working, dreading another day of listening to Chris Brown's and the Black Eyed Peas ****tiest hits ad nauseum and it makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts