Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live alone now but I have had some interesting housemate experiences over the years.

When I was at university one of my housemates started running an ebay business from the house. It was fine at first but he gradually started to order bigger and bigger items to sell on at a profit and since I lived in the front room I had to take all the deliveries. It wasn't until I took a delivery one day for 15 Table Football tables and had them all piled up in the porch and in my bedroom and was unable to leave the house that I realised I had to tell him to stop.

I also lived in a lot of houses that I had found via the spareroom website which meant I didn't meet my housemates until I moved in and it was always a complete lottery whether they were nice or horrible. One of the housemates during that time was a big guy called Mario who worked as a security guard and was completely crazy. He had the heat on all day, every day, even during summer, and if you turned it off he threatened to break your fingers. He also hated noise of any kind and once shouted at me for laughing too much "I'm sick of your Tee Hee Hees and your Ha Ha Has" he screamed. He also had a meltdown once when I moved a chair in the living room approximately an inch because of the noise it made. Worst of all it was an old house with dodgy electrics and sometimes it would trip and some of the lights, including the one in my room, would go out. To turn it back on I had to go to the fuse box which was in Mario's room. I would knock on the door and he would open the door and say "What the **** do you want?" and I would say "Can I go to the fuse box. Please. Don't hurt me". That was not a relaxing time in my life. Thankfully he was eventually kicked out by the landlord.

Another housemate I had during that time was a Czech woman. We got along well and even after she moved back to the Czech Republic she still phoned me occasionally to ask for help. But some of the things she wants help with are quite bizarre. Last time she phoned me she was on a crackly, dodgy line and asked me to look up how to find the canteen in an American airbase in Germany. Still the most baffling phone call I have ever received.

Have you ever had any weird or wonderful housemates?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've had some crazy roommates lol. Mine really can't compare. It was my boyfriend's roommate and he was just gross. He always peed the bed so his room smelled like pee. He would pee out the window instead of walking 5 feet to the bathroom and his windowsill was covered in pee. He had untreated diabetes and almost went into a diabetic coma twice, which my boyfriend had to call an ambulance for. He always ate fast food and junk food which didn't help the diabetes that he knew he had. His toothbrush was caked with blood all the time. He met a girl and she immediately started staying here from the first night and just started living here. That was the last straw and he told him to leave. She got pregnant, they broke up right before they were gonna move out, she told me about the stds he gave her. Now our life is blissful without him lol. I'm so glad they left

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
I only had housemates back when I was really young - and then it was for a very short time. I didn't like sharing with strangers at all.

I shared with a few girlfriends and then of course with my wife and I think it's safe to say they could all be described as interesting and unusual - but I'm definitely not going into that here. I'm sure they'd say the same thing about me though.

·
alien monk
8,875 Posts
wonderful only when i lived with partners. and one was a good friend (until i moved out and she blamed her financial situation on me), we would go to poetry night and stuff.

my current ones are dirty, leave a puddle of flour on the kitchen floor, which has slowly been turning the living room carpet into bread. i do pretty much all the cleaning (except for the living room where i wont set foot), put the bins out, etc. i've taken to just sweeping the flour into the living room since its already ruined. the guy leaves his car running, and smokes just outside my bedroom window, which smells, so i'm constantly closing and opening my window.

one flat was worse, they were a-ok with living with a horde of cockroaches. i spent a long long time vacuuming them up, but they were fairly dirty and enjoyed feeding them. never could get rid of all of them.

a lot of others fairly dirty. only because i always go for the cheapest place possible.

Reactions: SadSun
1 - 4 of 4 Posts