Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
This is going to sound like a weird (or stupid) question, but how exactly does one have a nervous breakdown? What is the process that someone goes through in order for it to be a nervous breakdown?

I think I feel like I've come close to, but I'm not really sure what exactly a nervous breakdown is? Is it just when you finally let out the scream of your life or something? Or just flip out and break everything in sight? I can't even begin to quantify it.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This is going to sound like a weird (or stupid) question, but how exactly does one have a nervous breakdown? What is the process that someone goes through in order for it to be a nervous breakdown?

I think I feel like I've come close to, but I'm not really sure what exactly a nervous breakdown is? Is it just when you finally let out the scream of your life or something? Or just flip out and break everything in sight? I can't even begin to quantify it.
I had to look it up too.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nervous-breakdown/AN00476

I believe I've had one.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

to quickly sum it up from personal experience its basically a psychological death, mentally you die, but your body and mind continues to function not realizing that you (your essence) have already given up

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/10/19/what-is-a-nervous-breakdown/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis

·
Registered
179 Posts
My worst breakdown ended up having me in the mental hospital for a month. It was like my mind vacated my body and I was just a hollow shell. I showed no emotions and was barely thinking. I was so far detached from myself. It was like being in hell, but I can't remember much about it.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I used to sometimes just stop maintaining all my relationships for a little while because I was overwhelmed by them. I'd cut off almost all communication with everyone except for a bare minimum, which turned out to be waving hello and answering direct questions curtly.

I have sometimes been so unable to calm myself down from negative thinking I am just disabled until my mind runs itself to exhaustion and forces a ceasefire that way.

I guess I would call both of these kinds of breakdowns. Over time these become MUCH softer, much shorter, and much more improbable. It's a lot harder to break things.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Yeah. People used to use "nervous breakdown" to describe anyone who got very upset over something. That's not it. Nervous breakdown is when you're so nervous you can't function normally anymore.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
From what is defined there, I might have come close (today wound up being a good sign; a few hours ago) to it myself. But never actually as bad as that.

But I don't know, it still seems too loosely defined for me to interpret a "breakdown" in definite terms. Maybe I'll just snap or go off the deep end instead.

·
Banned
3,884 Posts
I read the links people posted above..

So basically Nervous Breakdown=Suddenly becoming unmotivated, Depressed, & socially withdrawn?
In that case S.A is basically a Nervous breakdown..Or the result of a Nervous Breakdown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts