Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Bio we are required to go to one seminar this semester and write a paper on it. I am choosing to go to the one tomorrow, The Effect of Climatic Fluctuations on the European Eel. I like marine life, so it should be relatively interesting. However I am scared I am going to be looked at oddly. I obviously cannot offer any insight whatsoever on the topic, as I don't know anything about it, as with any of the seminar topics. How can I? I know that seminars are for advanced students to engage in open discussion. I will just be sitting there taking notes...talk about awkward.

·
Registered
290 Posts
um being afraid of being seen as inadequate when you're anticipating a social event is a typical SA thinking pattern. So maybe helps to tell yourself no don't think like that, you're painting a bad picture for yourself there.

If people are going to learn about the Eel, doesn't that mean everyone there doesn't know a lot about it? They are going to find out about it? It seems to me you would be fine with your notes. And, as you go along, you will learn a thing or two about the Eel. (Assuming you're not too overwhelmed being there to concentrate on it, which would possibly happen to me.) So then you could potentially share with someone something about the eel.

Take it easy. It sounds like you're doing the right things. Maybe bring a small snack and some water if you'll be there for 2 hours or more, that's what I do, water helps to keep your system in stronger shape, a little less prone to stress. And just breathe, and take it easy. Don't be hard on yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts