Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a High School student, and I got an award for getting honor's this year at my school. I'm one of about 200 others students that got it, so it's really not that big a deal.

Anyway, for the grade twelves, we have to attend a ceremony. There are about 60 of us. What we have to do is wait till they call our name, walk up onto the stage, and accept our certificate. We have to shake the hands of about three people. As well, the announcer will be LISTING OUR ACHIEVEMENTS, AND OUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE. Oh my god, I'm so scared.

For one thing, I'm terrified they'll say something about me that sounds stupid. I'm also scared they'll list like one thing and then I'll just be there awkwardly up on that stage while I get my certificate. Everyone will be watching me. I'm so afraid that I'll trip, or that they'll say things about me, or that they'll laugh about me. What if I stumble, or turn red, and they're all watching me? I don't know how to deal with this. It isn't a needless panic. A few years ago in my grade nine graduation, I had to get up on the stage for whatever reason and I fainted. I was TERRIFIED.

I'm so scared. And I HAVE to go to this. I want to just crawl under my bed and hide there forever. This is ridiculous! I'm in high school, and I'm afraid of things like this! How can I be like this? Why me? I hate this. I want to just live my life, but my SAD blocks everything. I have no friends, no people to hang out with, because I am afraid of them all. What do I do? What if I faint? Is there anything I can do to deal with this? I'm terrified, I absolutely can't get this out of my mind. Thinking about it scares me more than anything. I don't want them to see me all go up there. What do I do?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Well that is great! Congradulations! I think you should try to move your dominant energy center up to the chest/heart/thymus area rather than the gut area. When the gut area is overactive you magnify others reactions that are not dangerous to you but you think of it as dangerous. When you are in the higher center you really don't care what people think when you haven't done anything wrong and you also have thoughts like they are jealous or they just have nothing to say if they are doing that and it means nothing. In reality, people are impressed or they don't care or are jealous. You aren't glorifying yourself. You are only accepting an award given to you. That higher center is activated with affirmations, with cardio exercise and good posture. the lower center by overeating/undereating/bad eating like too much sugar or bad posture, no exercise, or bad balance habits when standing for long periods. You should believe that anything people say amongst themselves is not dangerous to you and is not worth anything meaningful to anyone and you haven't done anything wrong. You worked for that award and now you should accept it. You can also catch and block incoming energy to your gut by being aware of your gut center by all you do. If you have to stand for long periods anywhere at all it helps to balance on both feet and not on one or the other and breathe into your abs. You strengthen yourself this way.

Think of things to say to yourself that are true and calming and as in your heart/chest/thymus area as a bright shield. And think of your guts as a strong filter like a steel sieve that would strain things, and as it not just allow anything in and not allow nothing in either. strong but sensitive Then work to do things that keep your heart and gut area stronger such as eating well, exercise, posture, balance, breathing in your abs when you exercise, when you walk. The breathing into the abs will make a nice strong sieve-like strainer for outer things. Try to strengthen your body a bit and think affirmations that are true. Then the things that you imagine people will say will come to mind and they will hold no weight, they won't seem dangerous at all, you won't care. You will be thinking about what you are going to do and other things in your mind will seem important instead even things that are trivial. They will seem far away and as if they are not touching your emotions at all. It is only a thought then without any emotional attachment to it. Other people are going to look nervous too and they can do it. I look back at pictures of myself and others and we all laugh at how we looked a little nervous with a frozen scared smile a little and not in a bad way but we are proud of ourselves at what we did and being able to accept accomplishment also. If it comes to that, that is fine too. You are more than someone who is nervous. You are intelligent and consciencious and care about offending others. You aren't going to say anything and you will just accept it, smile like you are surprised or feeling a little silly to be up there, and walk away. You can do it.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
If I don't keep up any kind of physical discipline, I can resort back to nervousness. Apparently us introverts are born with a more active gut area which allows us to feel and see and remember a lot about things in the outer environment. They say that introverts tend to be overstimulated easily and extroverts are understimulated so they crave interaction. If you keep trying to work with various kinds of exercise and healthy foods and everyone is different and unique as to what they like and what works with them, you will just feel better and better. But if you stop, you may have symptoms return but in reality they can be influenced and changed overtime with physical training, mental training, and experience. Also a local support group or two can work wonders and also a warm professional to talk to. It is common problems and others are willing to help you with it. Mabye someone in your highschool guidance counseling can help too.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
Nothing you can do except to just get it over with. I know it's hard to do, but focusing on all the bad things that could happen will only make it worse. My guess is that you're going to be nervous before you get up there, but once you get up there your mind will most likely go blank, you'll just be focusing on the people on stage, and then it will be over with, you'll get a huge sigh of relief and maybe even think it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.