Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got asked one time by a girl over a text message. She had been flirting with me for awhile but I was too shy to ask her out. She texted "dont take this the wrong way, but do you like girls?" I texted "yes". Then she said, "oh ok just making sure" that was awkward.

·
SnotRocketTime
404 Posts
nobody has ever asked me if i was gay but my dad will occasionally take a friendly verbal jab at me when i talk with him. for instance i had a roommate for a few years and he would say something like, you know after a certain amount of time living together you are considered common law married. lol stuff like that.

right now there is a gal that is interested in me and i don't know what to do. i think she's cute but i start getting really nervous anytime i think about talking to her now that i know she likes me.

her friend, the one that told me this girl is into me, is starting to question me now. what's up man talk to her..make it happen..she likes you!

i'll probably end up looking gay because i can't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, I had a guy come up to me in the street at 8:00 at night and ask me where the gay bars in town were, I was feeling pretty extroverted that night though.

I think when I was a teenager, my older sister seriously believed I could be gay. Though it seems like older sisters are often like that, for some reason. I don't think anyone at school even considered it, since I was so obviously awkward with girls.

·
SAS Member
14,541 Posts
well, of course. If you don't go out with girls and introduce some to your parent(normal dating life or whatever) they start thinking you have somekind of hidden life, which means you're gay, or a serial killer :lol

anyway, my brother thinks i'm gay, even now that i have a girlfriend :lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gays are a complete opposite to that. A classic example is mr. slave from south park.
I'm gay but I'm on here because like everyone on this forum I'm not outgoing or outspoken. I'm quiet and low-key and don't like attention most of the time. I'm sure like all of you people make their assumptions about me though, having never dated, but in my case they might actually be right :clap.

My friends probably can tell I'm socially anxious so they might make that as an excuse for me never dating (only a handful know I'm gay). I think they all consider I'm gay and then think "nah he can't be" because most of my friends have probably never known an openly gay person who isn't someone you can 'tell' is gay by looking at them. But like most people here, I hate attention and I generally dress pretty sloppy (I'm trying to change that though in order to help myself build confidence).

If people think you're gay because you are clean or nice and not some cocky ******* then take it as a compliment. If a girl isn't interested in a guy because he's nice and treats her well then she's a glutton for abuse anyway and will have a lifetime of problems so you're best off keeping away. Keep in mind that girls like assertive guys though, and it's possible to be both nice and assertive. I just recommend that if people ask if you're gay, don't get too defensive because that's a classic sign of someone who is avoiding gay feelings. Seriously, it's called internalized homophobia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia#Internalized_homophobia

Edit: and wtf Mr Slave? He's a caricature of the gay stereotype with some bondage fetishism thrown in...

·
Registered
251 Posts
This post was funny to me only because I have got this many times.. the funny part is that I usually TRY to get that sort of reaction from people because I guess I have a screwed up sense of humor and love sarcasm. I have never been offended in my life, and I don't tend to take peoples words any more serious than they need to be. I guess to me the "words will never hurt me" saying applies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
do SA gays have more luck with other gays
unlike some straight male SAers, who are very shy around women?
Actually I think it makes it worse. It's bad enough having anxiety but when you're also gay in a society where people still think its weird or abnormal it's unbearable. I don't feel like I have it in me to be the one to change people's perceptions about gay people. It just sucks when there's 'normal people' and then 'the gays'.

Plus most people don't know I'm gay so I get the added bonus of hearing how weird everyone finds it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
weird

this seems to be a strange phenomenon among people with social anxiety. my mom asked me if i was gay once when i was a teenager. i have also had people at school think i was gay. i guess it didnt help that im a tomboy. i guess people assumed that because i didnt have a boyfriend until i was 18 that i must be gay. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been asked a couple of times in my life if I was gay. I think it was because in high school I had one best friend and no one else. We hung out everywhere together and had sleep overs on the weekends alot. I guess I can see how people might get the wrong idea about that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.