Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a teenager, I seriously hated myself. I was skinny, wore dreadful clothes, had enormous glasses and struggled to make friends with people. I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror.

And then I realised that this was stupid. Why was I so down on myself? This was the only body I had, and it wasn't going to suddenly change. I stopped making myself so miserable about it and started thinking about what I liked about it.

I started to realise that, while it wasn't perfect, it was actually a lot better than I'd given it credit. Revising my clothing, a decent haircut and some new frames for my glasses all improved things enormously.

I now hope that my experiences can help others: http://freedom-muse.com/2014/06/02/i-hate-my-body/

Would love to hear feedback from anyone on this topic - what would you add to this?

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
I struggle with my looks all of the time. It doesn't matter how great my clothes, haircut, or skin complexion is. I still doubt my acceptance to someone else's taste. I think my mind tells me that I don't have any friends/a girlfriend yet, so this is apparently convincing evidence that my looks are not up to par. I still have this stupid idea in my head, that good looks should attract people without any effort.

Lately, I don't like how I look. I feel like my age is slowly creeping in. Even though I'm not afraid of getting old, I am dreading the fact that my youthful appearance will fade away one day. I'm sure that most of it is just my state of mind. Maybe at 50 a lot of people will consider me to be incredibly hot still.

I have this new ability to be able to walk out of the door feeling as if I have the appearance of a goblin, unlike a year ago. My looks don't slow me down at all now, but they still motivate the many planned opportunities of going out in public. Some days I feel like a million bucks, which I'm more likely to go out even if I don't need something from the store. My opinion of myself still fluctuates, but for the most part I have finally learned to accept myself. For the most part, I've surrendered to the idea of a visual acceptance from others. I now only care to please my own opinion regarding looks, and everyone else is just going to have to deal with whatever walking canvas I happen to be.

·
Nyctophiliac
327 Posts
I used to hate my body. Now I just ignore the fact that I still do.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
Yeah I dislike my body a fair bit I'm 7 stone and have an inability to gain weight no matter how much I eat. Some sort of mega super metabolism I suppose... Worst super power ever! >.< Its pretty worrying cause you can see my rib cage without me needing to breathe in. It was worse when I was a kid though I was like 3 stone at the ages 8-12

·
Super Moderator
33,897 Posts
My body has been better but the way my body looks doesn't bother me as much as my face. I think a person's face is more important. You can be a little heavyset and still appealing if you have a decent face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts