Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
especially when you weren't good friends to begin with. i never know what to say beyond 'how's things'. sometimes it's even worse with good friends because you really want the conversation to work but the anxiety makes it all the more difficult to know what to say.

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
I'll prolly walk pass them.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
That's the main reason that I want to leave right after college and move to a huge city were I'm invisible. So many of my classmates go to my college.

Usually, I just pretend that I didn't see them so there are no hard feelings. If eye contact is made, and we didn't have a negative relationship in high school, I'll say hello and leave shortly after.

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
ug, so awkward. i hate small talk, espec. if it's w/ someone i only kinda sorta knew at some faraway time in my life.

i've gotten pretty good at pretending i don't see people, but sometimes random 'run-ins' are inevitable. when that's the case, i usually just try to keep the convo focused on them, b/c most people love to talk about themselves- and then i make my escape, haha.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I'm always confused on how to act when I know the person, but was never friends with them. Like if I just went to school with them for a while or worked with them but never talked with them much.
Yeah, i have had people that have waved, or act friendly as if we were friends before. But some of them i literally NEVER talked to before. Its just that they recognise me from before. I think i'm hard to forget or something.

Sometimes i acknowledge them, sometimes i dont (depends if i liked them/thought they were ok or not).

I always feel awkward and confused, because these people have nothing to do with me.

Whats the point in saying hello to someone you dont really know, and haven't seen for years and never talked to them when you were in the past at the same place?

There was no connection then, how the hell would there be now!? Madness.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, I'd freak these days if I ran into an old acquaintance from either my elementary school, high school, or college days. First of all - good luck to them in recognizing me quickly enough - because I'm as much as 80lbs heavier than I was when they "knew" me. There are other ways in which I look "worse", or "different", too. So my appearance would be a source of embarrassment for me, right off the bat. Then, there would be the requisite, "So what have you been up to?" questions - which I'd have no "honorable" answer for. I'd either have to hedge and be ridiculously vague - or tell them the embarrassing truth (and maybe go into the subject of my illness). Plus, my conversational "skills" are even worse than they were in the past - so that would make an already-awkward situation even worse.

A little over four years ago, I actually ran into a friendly acquaintance from college - and it was the most embarrassing thing. First of all - I didn't have to speak to the guy, I could have just left the area as if I had never seen him. But my curiosity (was that really him? Or was it just my imagination?) won out over my social anxiety/embarrassment - and I ended up approaching him. At one point, in college, we seemed to have "flirtations" with a romance (I liked him, there were some signs of him liking me back) - but nothing ever became of it. (You know why.) So it was painful to see him with someone who was obviously either a serious girlfriend or his wife - and painful to me for him to see me looking rather hideous compared to the way I looked when we liked each other. I had to explain to him who I was - but I wondered if he didn't already have at least in inkling as to who I was. Then there came that "inevitable" point where I explained to him why I wasn't doing anything with my life - and he acted very empathetic and understanding. It was still a very embarrassing and hurtful experience - and a lot of it had to do with the "budding romance" factor that existed between us once-upon-a-time.

it's even worse when eye contact is made and either they snob you or you unintentionally snob them.
I can think of at least a couple of times in which I had this experience. But there was one "snobbing" case that was a little different, becasue, for once, I felt like it didn't have anything to do with me. The summer immediately after my high-school graduation, I happened to notice a high-school classmate of mine (who was a "friendly acquintance") walking in the other direction, kind-of on the opposite side of the mall. The mall wasn't that crowded or big - so we had clear sight-lines to each other. I was ready to at least wave to her (if not even speak to her for a little bit) - but it seemed like she noticed me, but was trying hard to act like she didn't notice me. The possible/probable reason? She was very-visibly pregnant, and we were barely out of high school. She may have been afraid of what I was thinking about that (I think I noticed some embarrassment in her bodylanguage). So in that case, I didn't beat myself up for her "snobbing" me - my empathies actually went out to her.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
in college it could always be a good idea to wait a year, so you won't have to worry about meeting people you know since they went ahead of you, fortunately for me whenever I get to( or got to, since it doens't happen anymore) know someone in one grade, after summer vacation and the start of the next year, unless they actually had a class with me where I would be impossible to ignore, they wouldn't even aknowlege my existance in the hallways. Makes me wonder if I was really worth of just some guy to waste time with since there was no one else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts