Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
Hi :)
I can really relate to what you're saying.
I haven't been in therapy yet (except for one session, where I acted exactly like the crying, fragile-hearted babies you described, and I hated feeling like I was seeking help from this calm, rational father figure on the other side of the table.)
But I'd really like to try therapy again and this is one of the things that are keeping me from actively seeking a therapist.
I don't want to be a patient. I don't want to be "fixed" as you say.
I don't know if this is true for you too, but I feel like my issues are very much tied in with my personality.
It's not just some "disorder" that can be cured, it's a part of who I am.
So basically, I want to be seen as an equal, and I want my opinions and feelings to be respected, and not just to be seen as symptoms of some disorder I might have.
That's just me though.

Off topic: Did it take you long to find a therapist you felt comfortable with?

·
Severed member
2,972 Posts
You dont have low self esteem, do you? From this post, you seem like the type that would rather help someone, than be helped. It gives you a sense of authority to know that you have the answers to someone elses problem. The very thought of letting someone else know how you feel inside makes you cringe, because you feel like less of a person since you have problems and they dont.

Truth is, its ok to ask someone for help. Sometimes, we need help getting through life and there is nothing wrong with asking for guidance. You shouldnt feel like youre too good for someone elses advice, because you might find that they're right and it may point you in a different direction or change your thought process. Thats a good thing, no? A different perspective is needed sometimes because its easy to get stuck in a routine.

**Im not meaning to be rude, but this is what I'm gathering from your post. Please tell me if I'm wrong.**

1 - 3 of 3 Posts