Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last semester, I took a class. At the beginning of the semester, I was on the waitlist. We had to write journal entries most weeks. The wait list wasn't settled until into the second week, after the second journal was due. The assignments were due online, not being registered for the class, I had no access to the class-page. So I was unable do the assignments. Not knowing whether I would end up in the class (not to mention fear of talking to the professor) by the time I was off the wait list, I was had already lost twenty points. I kept trying to get up the nerve to talk to the professor. Finally, several weeks into the semester, the friday before thanksgiving break, realizing I was never going to be able to talk to her, I sent her an email asking if I could make up the points, explaining why I had not gotten in touch with her earlier. Unfortunately, when I saw that she responded, I was "unable" to check my email for several days, out of fear. When I finally did check it, it turned out she was very kind, about it. She didn't allow me to do any work, but she said she considered it a "medical excuse" and just gave the points to me. I had expected her to call my bluff (not that I was bluffing, of course) because recently we had covered social anxiety (it was a social psychology course) so I thought she would assume that I was just trying to be opportunistic) (of course we'd also recently covered the concept of illusory correlations, so I obviously wasn't giving my professor much credit) but she didn't even ask for any evidence. Just gave the points to me, and offered to give me some referrals, which I took, but as of yet, haven't gotten the nerve to see if any of them are taking new patients, presently.

·
Banned
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. It was a very pleasant surprise...ultimately. At the time I very much regretted it though, as I didn't actually need the points (I'm not a great student, nor am I a perfectionist. So the points themselves weren't the issue, just feeling rather pathetic about not even trying. But as soon as I sent the email, I regretted it, and as I say, for several days, I was afraid to read her response (or even check any of my email for fear of accidently opening hers.) I was quite relieved when I finally did, but even that didn't last long. In practically no time, I began to dread going back to class after thanksgiving break, and barely managed to go into the classroom the first day. The likelihood that she even knew who I was, was extremely minute...I'm not sure what this schools official policy is. It was a social psychology class though, so, in that way, it wasn't "that" surprising, as it's the sort of subject & department that you would expect the faculty to be familiar with and have at least somewhat of an understanding of social anxiety.

·
Currently Broken
1,231 Posts
I'm a grad student, and I'm (supposed to be) working on my thesis. Well last summer I was registered for thesis but was having trouble getting any work done or talking to my professor for mostly social anxiety reasons. I went to see a psychologist at the school's counseling center, and she convinced me to arrange a meeting with her and my professor to discuss some issues. I couldn't even write the email to ask him to come so she wrote it and I copied it word for word and sent it (still took me a couple of weeks). So we met with him, he was very nice and understanding. I was expecting he might give me an extension, but instead he just gave me "satisfactory progress" for that semester and said we could start fresh in the fall. I was very surprised. I basically got a passing grade for the semester for doing no work (except some fear-conquering).

·
Registered
698 Posts
SA has probably helped me education wise I suppose. Had I not had SA I don't think I would have focused enough on my studies as I can't stay I would be that disciplined with study even now. As I am stuck in my room a lot, it is natural to just get the books out to even just pass the time away.

But glad your professor was so understanding by the way. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts