Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't talk to my parents or any of my brothers. Two of my older brothers are now married, and that makes it even worse. They all think I hate them, but really I love them more than anything in the world. Has anyone else had problems being close to their family members because of social anxiety?

·
socially disabled
276 Posts
yes my relationships with my parants and sisters have diminished as my SA got worse... id never think id be nervious or awkward with my own big sis ...:-( i haven t even spent time with my newborn nephew cuz of my SA.. I feel horrible i can only imagine what my sis must think of me....

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
Yes. I'm not so nervous around them, but I really don't want anyone knowing the extent of my SA as I'm quite ashamed of it. I visit on holidays and there's the occasional phone call from time to time, but I generally try and keep them out of my non-existent personal life.

At some point, I had a hard time relating to my younger siblings when they surpassed me socially. We are are friendly though, and get along quite well when we are together.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought I was the only one that was like this. My relationship with my family seems totally nonexistent. It's been worse in the past 3 years. The only one I'm not AS awkward with is my younger sister.

I guess getting continually criticized by my family growing up, caused me to shut down all together. I wasn't allowed to act goofy at home, pursue certain hobbies/subjects.....it led me to rebel and I've been on this emotional rollercoaster for years. I've tagged myself as the official black sheep of the family.

·
Dan Dreamin
47 Posts
yeah good to see this thread up.
I started to shut myself off with mutisim at about 9 years of age, i felt so uncomfortable around my family except for my older sister i have one more sister older than her. Im the youngest, now im 29 and i get along with my parents and the oldest sister, but i dint let them into my life as much as they would like, but i think its as good as of an relationship i can offer them at the moment, sa is slowley getting better as i age, just like a good bottel of wine, there is hope for allof us :clap

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Yeah, mostly my sister. She calls me a best friend, yet we hardly talk or spend time together. I hate to admit that I've been more stress/worry free without her around the house in the past month. :( But I love her. If I could, I'd spend more time with her.

Right before she left I ended up acting odd in front of her and hiding in the bathroom. I don't know what she thought though. I was laughing a little, feeling a bit nervous....ended up crying, but she didn't see me cry, just knew I hid in the bathroom, then I ran upstairs. Unless she doesn't realize I was HIDING in the bathroom....:um Luckily, later on, she came in my room and was like "you forgot your soda" and handed it to me. I said thanks and sorry that I couldn't finish helping her in the kitchen. She said that's okay and g'nite. My mom saw this happen to. She didn't know why I was crying, she thought something happened and was like "are you ok?". >.<
I have a fear of laughing in front of my sis (well, more so a fear of laughing for NO reason. Must be nervous laughter...) and usually I don't like being in the kitchen with her, feels awkward, makes me nervous. Might sound stupid. Oh well. I've got some embarrassing, weird stories of me and her. I won't get into them though, atleast not right now.

·
Dan Dreamin
47 Posts
Yeah, mostly my sister. She calls me a best friend, yet we hardly talk or spend time together. I hate to admit that I've been more stress/worry free without her around the house in the past month. :( But I love her. If I could, I'd spend more time with her.
Its hard hey, but believe me when I say It does get easier when u get older, u gust got to keep working at it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes. All my relatives live far from me so its hard to talk and meet with them. Whats worse is I live with my mom and she doesn't know that I think I have SA and probably wouldn't believe me in the first place.

·
Chimpoleon
291 Posts
yes, I finally told basically my only friend in the world today (he's my brothers best friend so I'm sure he'll find out eventually, but he thinks I have suicidal depression, so he'll probably take it over welll and tell my family)... at least thats how I think this will end up

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yes, I barely talk with my younger brother and have absolutely no rapport with my mother. So sad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I was the only one that was like this. My relationship with my family seems totally nonexistent. It's been worse in the past 3 years. The only one I'm not AS awkward with is my younger sister.

I guess getting continually criticized by my family growing up, caused me to shut down all together. I wasn't allowed to act goofy at home, pursue certain hobbies/subjects.....it led me to rebel and I've been on this emotional rollercoaster for years. I've tagged myself as the official black sheep of the family.
What kind of hobbies if you don't mind me asking... That's sounds very hard .. My own sisters are distant by it's not because of sa... My parents are kay My extended family though.... Oh my god I'm horrified of xmas would rather spend it with strangers on a desert island like on lost (I'm serious) but of course dad makes me go. I dilont understand why though jeez.. I am seriously horrified of my extended family gahhh

·
SAS Member
14,436 Posts
I'm close with my family. As close as someone with SA can be anyway.

Edit: I'm only close to my mom, sister and brother...i don't care about the rest of them too much.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I literally go to the same university as my cousin, even the same department of study, and I can't even bring myself to call her up :/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm close to them. But I could never talk to them about personal things/feelings. I'm not that close to the oldest of my younger brothers (he's 15). I think I see to much of myself in him, in a weird way.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
My family doesn't bother with me;but it is better that way,they are very hurtful and completely disfunctional.The holidays suck but,I'm learning to cope.

·
Trapped
322 Posts
I'm not really close to my family at all, I hardly talk to them =/
I can't even remember the last time I had like a real conversation with my brother.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts