Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think many unis in the UK have religious chaplains on staff who can provide support for emotional issues...I thought they were there just for spiritual issues but my therapist referred me to speak to a Christian chaplain about my anxiety and depression problems. So now I'm using my Christian chaplain as like my therapist...has anyone done this before?

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
I haven't personally done that but it sounds like a good idea.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
it's interesting, idk if it's unique to the chaplain i'm seeing, but i feel like he remembers and cares a lot more than my previous therapists...
That's good. I think the care given by religious people is sometimes more effective, perhaps because their motivations are broader. Also I think the 'compassion' is more likely to shine through which is important for many of us.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good. I think the care given by religious people is sometimes more effective, perhaps because their motivations are broader. Also I think the 'compassion' is more likely to shine through which is important for many of us.
good point

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I usually see a Christian therapist, mentor, etc. to talk about all issues, including social anxiety. It helps because now faith is involved in the road to recovery.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm starting to wonder if i'm using the chaplain for the right reasons now since he's not actually a therapist but just a pastor... i feel silly now for using him as my therapist..

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pastors and chaplains provide counseling too. I used to go to pastoral counseling for my issues.
ohh ok. because i was starting to feel like i was wasting the chaplain's time.. i guess the difference is the type of feedback they give (spiritual vs. psychological approaches)..right?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
ohh ok. because i was starting to feel like i was wasting the chaplain's time.. i guess the difference is the type of feedback they give (spiritual vs. psychological approaches)..right?
If they have a background in psychology they can approach it with both. If not, you'd still benefit greatly with the spiritual approach.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they have a background in psychology they can approach it with both. If not, you'd still benefit greatly with the spiritual approach.
what exactly does a "spiritual approach" mean though? because i realized he doesn't give me any feedback regarding God or referring me to the bible, I realized he has only been trying to give me advice with normal things like things I could say to people, etc. kind of like just asking like my friend...

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
He sounds like a non-directive type of counsellor, which is a good approach for most people.
I imagine that if you see him for non-religious issues he would be reluctant to bring up religious subjects but I imagine he would be happy to if you raised the matter.
Ministers have usually always had a pastoral/caring aspect to their role & many will have completed counselling courses.
I'm very interested in the crossover between faith & counselling which is a subject explored in some of my favourite novels by Susan Howatch.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He sounds like a non-directive type of counsellor, which is a good approach for most people.
I imagine that if you see him for non-religious issues he would be reluctant to bring up religious subjects but I imagine he would be happy to if you raised the matter.
Ministers have usually always had a pastoral/caring aspect to their role & many will have completed counselling courses.
I'm very interested in the crossover between faith & counselling which is a subject explored in some of my favourite novels by Susan Howatch.
but i really feel like he's not really doing counselling, but rather just sitting there and listening. and giving advice from his own personal experiences..what exactly is counselling if it's without advice from psychology?

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
but i really feel like he's not really doing counselling, but rather just sitting there and listening. and giving advice from his own personal experiences..what exactly is counselling if it's without advice from psychology?
Good question.
I wonder why your therapist referred you to him?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question.
I wonder why your therapist referred you to him?
well i think it's because i mentioned about how i was questioning my faith and so she referred me to him. so in the first session with the chaplain, i told him about my doubts about God and also about my anxiety and depression problems and why i was seeing my therapist in the first place. then in the 2nd session, i just asked him questions about religion and whatnot...but at the end he seemed surprised that i didn't talk about how i was feeling and stuff. so then in the 3rd session, i talked about my anxiety/depression problems the whole time. and then after this session ended and after i made an appt for the next session, he was reminding me about how we can talk about faith or personal issues, or anything. I think our sessions are supposed to be more of a conversation than a ranting session.

anyways i just felt really dumb telling him about my anxiety struggles because I don't think he understands...like i don't even know if he understands what social anxiety is. he tried to give me advice on social skills..but taht wasn't my problem.. thing is, he's so friendly and is so inviting to talk about anything. and he's such a good listener, he remembers more of the things i have said than my therapist does. so that's what makes me keep wanting to go back lol but then the feeling that he probably misunderstood what i said (and so probably thinks i'm crazy) makes me feel bad about myself and makes me want to explain myself in the next session..for some reason i care alot about what he thinks of me even though i probably shouldnt????

anyways so i think i will try to stick to more topics of religion, but i feel like his answers to my questions about religion hasn't really helped me. so i don't know if i'm supposed to keep going or not just to talk about my anxiety problems. I just don't know how normal it is to talk to the chaplain about these things..such as telling him about specific interactions with people that made me feel very anxious and **** and complaining about it... am i wasting his time? i feel like he wouldn't tell me to stop coming because he knows that would be hurtful lol

edit: sorry this was longer than i thought it woudl be

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
sorry i posted this while under severe sleep deprivation. sorry for rant
No worries.
I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss your mixed feelings about it all - he'd probably see that as part of the process.
However, if you continue to feel uncomfortable talking with him, maybe consider just staying with the therapist?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've tried that too. They're all just people. Some way more insightful and helpful than others. From what you're saying I'd say he can be useful as a listener. Someone to vent to and just talk. which I've found can sometimes be really helpful for some situations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts