Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I was thinking has anyone on this site ever actualy gotten rid of their sa, at least to the point that it doesn't majorly **** with their life? Because I've looked at some members and seen how they've been sas members for years\

And I was just wondering, is there anyone who used to be on all the time and now theyre not cuz they overcame their sa?

I always imagined that someday I would overcome my sa and and i'd be so happy about it but not about leaving u all behind still dealing with this issue, and i imagined that id make a post about the fact that i overcame it....Anyway, actually overcoming and getting rid of my sa seems like less of a possibilitythe more that I think about the issues all of us on this site keep dealing with and posting about-it dooesn't seem like there's a lot of genuine long term success-so anyway, has anyone on this site that u know of actually overcome this sa?

·
Banned
5 Posts
I think expecting to completely overcome anxiety can be a burden and may only lead to discouragement. I've felt at times that I have beaten it, learned how to totally cope with it. I still have to work on it though. I just try to improve how I function with anxiety, lower my anxiety as much as I can and not beat myself up over it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just joined yesterday.I thought it was a thing of the past in my early 20's.21 through about25.I sang and played guitar and wanted to make it my living so I went out to ft.myers beach,and places like that where there were alot of people and walked around and played for money,but at the same time I was always pretty lit up.I drank alot so it never really went away.I just masked it with drugs and alcohal.I both regret and wish it would happen to me again just because it was so exciting.I couldn't believe I was doing it.I wish I could find a way to do it again with out booze.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't believe you can truly overcome it. I think you just learn how to manage it. Even the ones who say they've overcome it (of which I don't know any on this site though I am fairly new here) I'm highly sceptical. I honestly never had a goal to beat SA. I just don't want SA to stop me from living my life the way I want.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
643 Posts
I suppose it depends on each individuals definition of overcome. "overcome" to me would be being able to live a life that feels like it's worth living. In my case no I have not overcome SA. Someone else might feel that "overcome" means they are completely anxiety free. My goals have changed the longer I've had SA. I used to think I could become completely anxiety free. I now realize that may not be be possible for me and should probably learn to accept that.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Has anyone here ever heard of "Stages of Change?"

Basically, it is consisted of either 5 or 6 stages (depending what source you are reading):

1) Precontemplation

2) Contemplation

3) Preparation

4) Action

5) Maintenance

6) Termination

I guess when people talk about "overcoming" social anxiety, they are referring to termination meaning they no longer need treatment. Like LaRibbon, I'm skeptical if it's possible to enter that stage, but I am optimistic that most of us can reach the Maintenance stage. That's where we've been able to change our behaviors and cognition but need to maintain them to prevent relapse.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't say for sure if SA can be completely eradicated. Although, I have come in contact with a few people who claim they have. I do know that I have made significant strides towards that end in the past 3 months through extensive work on CBT and REBT. I am better able to manage my symptoms, however there are still moments that I relapse. My expectation is that I do not know if I will ever be able to live life without some form of SA but I believe that the symptoms can be radically reduced through persistent work on thinking rationally and periodic testing the new thinking through controlled exposure experiments and random everyday encounters. All I tell myself is that I will never be perfect as no one can never be (we all have problems in different ways) but we can still improve. That's all I am looking to do: improve. If it takes a lifetime, which it probably will then so be it. But, I won't give up. I feel that giving up is just throwing in the towel and living your life with a hopeless attitude which is just self-defeating. Just try to take it easy. Expect failures and try your best not to blow things out of proportion when things don't go your way. Instead of beating yourself up over mistakes and catastrophizing, try to step back calmly and see how you can improve the situation when it comes up again. I guess that's really all you can do. Just make the attempt to take the negatives with a grain of salt and see the silver lining. Failure can be positive if you choose to learn from it instead of berating yourself over what you believe you should have done. What's done is done. There is nothing you can do about it. Try to be positive and look at failures as an opportunity to improve yourself. Easier said than done, I know, but no one said overcoming SA even in small ways is an easy thing to do as our delusional thinking has become such a big part of us. It takes a lot of time to rewire our brains that have become so tangled through the decades of our negative, self-defeating thoughts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well like someone else said and I say all the time I don't think you can truly overcome it completely you just manage. For me it's one step at a time like I can actually talk with people now ask them questions but I still can't go out in groups, work etc. It's a process. Even though I think my brother used to have it and he is "normal" now, not a lot of friends but he doesn't seem socially anxious anymore.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Umm YES. I have conquered Social Anxiety before, bout four years ago. I can tell you, there wern't enough hours in the day. I just loved life and couldn't stop expressing myself, being friendly to people and leaving the people who didn't talk alone, mayby they dont want to talk. I lived SA free for about a year, and without trying to overstate- it was probably the best year I've had. But then I got it back, and GAD. Things wen't relly bad and now it's just t a stable level. Although-I gave out an impression I was arrogant, which I didn't intend at the time. Sorry to say it, living without SA is a blast, and I don't think those without it appreciate there healthy mind.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Has anyone here ever heard of "Stages of Change?"

Basically, it is consisted of either 5 or 6 stages (depending what source you are reading):

1) Precontemplation

2) Contemplation

3) Preparation

4) Action

5) Maintenance

6) Termination

I guess when people talk about "overcoming" social anxiety, they are referring to termination meaning they no longer need treatment. Like LaRibbon, I'm skeptical if it's possible to enter that stage, but I am optimistic that most of us can reach the Maintenance stage. That's where we've been able to change our behaviors and cognition but need to maintain them to prevent relapse.
yes im actually witing a book bsed on the 6 stages of change

ive been trying to change since i was 18 but i had no success cos i didnt have knowledge of the 6 stages. i was always going back and forth between them.

i found the 6 stages when i was 22 and from then i moved swiflty hrough each stage until action. when i got to action though i struggled cos i had procrastination problems. i couldnt take action basically cos i was too lazy.

i cured my procrastination by using thinkrightnow, then in 2008 started taking action and made some jiant strides with my sa

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I've overcome it for months at a time where I have a healthy social life and somehow attracting people to me, but it always comes back and the friends fall off and I'm alone for months other than 1 or 2 close friends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts