Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone on here with severe to moderate SA (not light-SA) has ever worked in a sales position (other than telephone). Such as a selling cars, technology, etc.

If so, were you able to adjust?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried it a long time ago. I was a failure. I had to script my pitch and I wasn't very good at improvisation or ad libbing on the spot when people asked me questions. I was hawking a special dictionary that included several other glossaries. It was a type of "encyclopedia of dictionaries" which is what we called it. A lexicon. It had a regular dictionary as well as a legal, music and astronomical almanac. All for the low price of $19.99 +tax haha. The trick with this job I had was that I was supposed to schmooze one potential customer and leave them with a copy of the book for a few days then they were supposed to do the work for me and show the book to their friends and clients and get them interested and if they got ten of the buddies hooked into buying a copy, they themselves would get a free book. Alot more work than it sounds though. I had to be real convincing and very much a sales genie which I was not and will never be. I've never gone back to that field again.

I meet people in the sales field all the time in my job and they are the total opposite of SAs. They are always smiling and always ready to chat about anything. Very extroverted. One of the few professions where you can make alot of money without a college degree. Amazing how a dynamic and charismatic personality will take you farther than brains ever will in our society. I'm jealous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts