Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I volunteered at a Nursing Home, and due to the fact they didn't give any formal training, and my social anxiety, I became very tongue tied when I was talking to one of the patients.

I met her a few days ago, and the volunteer coordinator told me she was sharp. However, she didn't remember me today and I felt embarrassed that I greeted her like we knew each other, when she had no idea who I was!

When I tried to explain I was a volunteer and came to chat, she answered kind of annoyed and confused," Chat? About WHAT??" and I responded," I--well, I mean--I guess..um...I'll be right back. I, uh, need to make a call."

I left and got instantly teary eyed and before I could leave, the administrator stopped me and wanted to have a deep chat about what was wrong and what would make me feel more comfortable. I burst out in tears explaining my feelings and felt SO humiliated!

Has any one experienced a meltdown like this?? I feel so stupid.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Yeah this happens. I've had to run out in the middle of a school presentation before because I froze up and started crying. That patient was a total ***** though, what did the administrator say when you explained?

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
I went to the emergency room for the first couple of panic attacks I had when I was younger and felt really stupid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Haven't had a full on meltdown but during presentation's in class I've started sweating profusely and couldn't stop for any reason. I wanted to bail but I kept my cool only because I already basically looked like a complete idiot, didn't wanna make it look worse.

*repression ftw*

Sorry to hear about your experience though. I hope I never have to go through something like that. Must have been an awful feeling.

·
Banned
901 Posts
When I worked at a nursing home I felt this way all the time when talking to the patients. Having to repeat yourself over and over gets humiliating sometimes, even though you know it's not your fault and you know it has nothing to do with you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah this happens. I've had to run out in the middle of a school presentation before because I froze up and started crying. That patient was a total ***** though, what did the administrator say when you explained?
I mean, it wasn't the patient's fault because she was old, tired, probably heavily medicated, and confused. However, the volunteer coordinator should have informed me about this prior to the visit or if he didn't know, the admin should have given him non-private information about the patient to pass along to me, such as if she was medicated, had dementia, or was in physical pain.

Part of the problem was lack of organization on their part, but I just wish I handled it better...The administrator was nice and said he hopes I could come back and he'd ask if someone would partner up with me until I get used to volunteering.

·
LEFT SAS
2,787 Posts
What you're doing is really important. You're making a difference in people's lives in spite of your own anxieties. Just keep pushing forward.

Personally, I freeze up and get all awkward. Once, while babbling out a response, I had someone walk away from me. That's embarrassing!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you're doing is really important. You're making a difference in people's lives in spite of your own anxieties. Just keep pushing forward.

Personally, I freeze up and get all awkward. Once, while babbling out a response, I had someone walk away from me. That's embarrassing!!
Thank you so much. Believe me when I say your words mean a lot to me. My initial thought when doing this was, " After being a CNA in a nursing home, I am so passionate about solving this problem. Seniors are treated unfairly and they need positive people to be with them! I want to be that person, regardless of my flaws because I believe I can overcome them and help them!"

But then I forgot that thought and your words reminded me. I'm going to talk to the volunteer coordinator, work this problem out and try again next week.

Also, I am sorry a person walked away from you when you were trying to clarify your thoughts. I've had that happen to me too and it is not a good feeling. :\

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had a few meltdowns over the years as well. My worst was when I was 21 and was having a sort of prolonged panic attack that landed me in the ER, after which I spent a week in a behavioral health unit. I think everyone has a meltdown story of some sort, even people without social anxiety, so don't feel too embarrassed, it happens to the best of us :)

Also, I'm required to volunteer at a nursing home for school next semester so I hope my first day goes a little better because I've been extremely anxious about it.

·
CauseIknowhowithurts
432 Posts
Heck yes! I'm still in high school and when people don't want to sit by me in class I act like I don't care not only because I know I should but I have to, you wouldn't want someone who didn't like you to sit by you but despite this, even if I barely know the person I still get teary eyed and even worse can't focus on my work. Same if someone says something unnecesary or raises their voice a tad too high or tells me something in an impatient tone it's enough to throw me off my focusing balance. Just curious, how did the word chat come into the conversation? It was probaly the word "chat" that instigated it because I know my mom (whose the opposite from me) is a fake friendly to everyone but hates when people waste her time and to her that's when anyone talks about something she considers petty as harsh as that sounds. Most people won't get angry but older/reserved/practical people are iffy. I know my dad just talks that way with everybody. I ask him why he's angry after seeing the way he talks to some people and he says I put too much attention on details and that's just the way he talks.

·
Numb
317 Posts
Not that I remember. But if I feel being in public is too overwhelming I immediately head for my car.

I've come close to being so angry from people staring at me or whispering that I wanted to confront them. I'm talking complete strangers. If people give me this sort of "look" I get pissed.

·
Stuck
1,055 Posts
I hope you're alright now, the coordinator should have really let you know before hand. I haven't really had a meltdown as such, but a couple of years back I walked in late to a lecture in front of about 300 people and the lecturer stopped me and made a big deal about it in front of everyone. I panicked and pretty much ran out of the room as he was saying "wait, you can't just leave like that", it was so bad for me I had to quit the class because of it.

·
{Astoundingly Anxious}
1,243 Posts
I've gotten close before, but never actually crossed the threshold yet. There have been times where I just about was ready to assault a guy who was talking to me non-stop. I could feel the rage in me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've gotten close before, but never actually crossed the threshold yet. There have been times where I just about was ready to assault a guy who was talking to me non-stop. I could feel the rage in me.
Hahaha! I've felt the same thing! I have an old friend, whom is one of the few people I feel comfortable with, that recently moved out to live on her own, and since that move, she will talk non-stop when we hang out! It is mentally exhausting and I just want to scream, "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PEACEFUL, SHUT UP!"

Now that I ponder about the meltdown and my tendency to explode, maybe I just have unusually extreme emotions...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you're alright now, the coordinator should have really let you know before hand. I haven't really had a meltdown as such, but a couple of years back I walked in late to a lecture in front of about 300 people and the lecturer stopped me and made a big deal about it in front of everyone. I panicked and pretty much ran out of the room as he was saying "wait, you can't just leave like that", it was so bad for me I had to quit the class because of it.
Thank you! I am feeling better and will have a discussion with the coordinator before I go back, so the problems can be solved and such a disaster can be avoided!

Sorry you had that experience. I've felt really uncomfortable being stared at by a lot of people too when I've been late. However, I have a reputation for being punctual for the very reason that I don't want to be looked down upon by others.

I know it was a very embarrassing experience, but did it make you less apt of being late? Because if so, that is a positive outcome that is actually very useful and admired.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Jeeze. I can remember ones that reverberate worse in my head.

Once, before a trip. I was forced to go to youth group by my mother and I remember we were packing up cars and I had no idea where I was supposed to go... I was young, new, and there were all these older kids who knew each other. And I was going alone. I don't remember much of what I was feeling except this big kid kept asking me what my father would say and I was standing there on the curb bawling... he only made it worse.

And I remember breaking down in class before, trying to hide my shame at being a failure. I expected to fail, but they expected me to succeed. I hoped they wouldn't pick me to do the problem race on the board but of course they did. They expected too much of me and I lost and I tried to hide my face all the way to the next class. Later on I'd learn to simply internalize my depression. No matter how sad I felt, no one even cared to notice.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not that I remember. But if I feel being in public is too overwhelming I immediately head for my car.

I've come close to being so angry from people staring at me or whispering that I wanted to confront them. I'm talking complete strangers. If people give me this sort of "look" I get pissed.
That's what I do too. I just leave the public area. However, in the situation I explained, I really couldn't because the administrator called me over, right as I was ready to run to my car and cry.

I feel like whether you become sad or angry from the situation, it's very hard to control and the best way to prevent a public meltdown is just to find a private place to relieve your stress.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not exactly "in public" but once a few years ago when I was meeting/hanging out with some of my girlfriend's friends I was really uncomfortable (anxious/depressed) the whole night. We all drove to one friend's house at the end of the night and after we parked (it was just my gf and I in my car) I just broke down crying. I don't know why, I just really wanted to go home and be alone. My gf was alright and after a few minutes I mustered up the courage to continue socializing with everyone.

Besides that I've had a couple occasions where I just felt "I need to get out of here" and very awkwardly walked away from everyone, but never really "lost it."

1 - 20 of 63 Posts