Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety but as it's looks related I feel more like it's BDD. What are the main differences?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey confuzzled welcome. :)

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
i've just had a (VERY) quick look (before going to bed) at what BDD is (not heard of it before), and my first impression and ideas of it and it's differences with SA, are that BDD is aimed specifically at a psychological problem with a distorted vision of your physical self, where as SA is more about the social interactions and consequences of.
i have to go to bed now (it's half 5 in the morning) as i have work later at 1. but when i get back from work, i'll try to remember to help find out the differences for you. in the mean time, scout around the internet to find resources if you can. i know a lot of people disagree with wikipedia, but i find it quite useful to get rough idea's and quick pointers for things i wanna start reading up about (like the banana and it's many uses)
hope this helped in some way.
take care, and i also hope you get the support you need :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Confuzzled! :)

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
hiya. had a bit more deeper look into BDD, and i have a slightly better knowledge of it now.
SA and BDD are very similar and do have a co-morbidity (if you have one, it's possible the other could follow, like going blind and getting lots of headaches (from walking into doors) lol. thats how i look at it)
like i said earlier, it is aimed at how you see your body, and effectively blow it out of proportion, much like how SA blows social interaction out of proportion.
it can be quite hard to distinguish between BDD and some other disorders tho. so you have to be carefull with your thoughts on it. one example i read was saying about unhealthy obbsessions over ones weight, as this could actually be down to an eating disorder, not BDD.
it'll be best to look it up yourself, as i tend to ramble, and say a lot of stuff that just wastes space. but if you need any other help on the subject, or anything else, just let me know :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am checking me up in the mirror 10-20 times a day and never happy about my body or face, freaking out if peole looking at me,wearing same baggy clothes and so on ,it is like obsession 24-7 and on top of it extreme sotial anxiety, my body stiff and i do not know where to put my hands or how to move, but i was a dancer ....you know and very pretty too, it is unfortunate to have this crap after 30,very uncomfortable.so i can understand what you feel...........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey...Can you describe some symptoms or tests that may indicate you have BDD? I'm very conscious of my physical appearance, i'd look at myself everytime when i walked past a mirror, at my face or posture. Sometimes I get really depressed and I think i look so ugly and awkward looking, but other times I can look at my self and see a twinkle in my eye and think that my face is rather friendly looking.

Same with photos, sometimes i look normal and other times i just think i look so awkward and weird.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Hey...Can you describe some symptoms or tests that may indicate you have BDD? I'm very conscious of my physical appearance, i'd look at myself everytime when i walked past a mirror, at my face or posture. Sometimes I get really depressed and I think i look so ugly and awkward looking, but other times I can look at my self and see a twinkle in my eye and think that my face is rather friendly looking.

Same with photos, sometimes i look normal and other times i just think i look so awkward and weird.
Me too. Counsellors have never been sure. I dont think i have full on bdd, but i feel self conscious about the way i look for definite.

They just say its severe social anxiety.

·
Seasonal Affected Disorde
880 Posts
Yes I have, but I am not sure if mine is severe. Since I dont take care of my apperance as much as a BDD'er would. Since they so self-concience about it, I assume they are always thinking they ugly, even if they super damn fine.

But I have my bad days where im looking at the mirror and im seeing a olga lookin back at me. :(

Since its an old post, Im only answering the main question :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts