Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Celexa has helped me immensely. It's not a cure by any means, but I notice myself doing things I've never done before. Last night I went to a bar and played poker with about 20 people I didnt know. I was not the life of the party or anything, and I actually didnt say much while I was there, but just the fact that I could go and not be a total wreck the whole time was amazing. I had no alcohol either. Other things I've noticed, situations at work like meetings, and smalltalk with coworkers. I used to avoid these things like the plague. Now I'm at a point where I dont seek them out, but I'm not bothered if they happen either. Just kind of rolls off me. The first few weeks were awful. I felt like a zombie. Couldnt sleep or eat. And the symptoms all came back when I went up in dosage from 20mg, to 40mg. But after about 4-6 weeks, things start to feel normal again, accept you notice small differences in yourself. SSRI's have been lifechanging for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zoloft helped me a lot when I had SA really badly. I used to cry randomly and obsess over the things I'd said to people, the zoloft basically put an end to that so daily life was a lot more manageable. I'm still on it now but am about to start tapering off it to see if I can cope without it.

Edit: I will comment that Lexapro did sweet FA for me. It really varies from person to person.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you have generalized SA and never tried an SSRI then feel free to do so. They are considered first line treatment. Don't let you scare from "bad reports". People on the internet will always much more likely write about things that didn't work for them instead of writing "the thing helped me".

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
People on the internet will always much more likely write about things that didn't work for them instead of writing "the thing helped me".
Very true. People are vastly more likely to rant about something that was wrong than to rave about something that was good, so there is an obvious bias.

But still, even big pharma's own clinical trials (where we can safely assume they have a bias in favor of their own highly profitable pills) still show significant rates of failure with SSRIs. You regularly see things like the pill worked in 70% of patients, but then 35% reported improvement on placebo. When you take out the control group that leaves only about 1/3 who actually benefited from the real drug. Better than nothing, certainly, but it still failed to help 2/3 of patients any more than a sugar pill was able to do.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Also "double-blind" studies do not exist in reality.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Also "double-blind" studies do not exist in reality.
I've made the same observation many times before myself. If a mystery pill makes it impossible to orgasm after taking it for 10 days (as happened to me in a clinical trial) you certainly know it's not a sugar pill and so does the doctor running the trial when you report this blatantly obvious side effect.

The whole idea of blind trials is to remove bias. Well, that doesn't work if there are side effects that will really open your eyes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One thing I would recommend is if you decide to take an SSRI, find any positive information you can find and then go in with the attitude that they will help. I know this is simply promoting the placebo effect but this is my point. You may be able to get improvement from this effect to last several months? This may at least give you a chance to make some positive changes on your own that may last even after your drug or placebo effect poops out! Positive Thinking and CBT in conjunction with SSRI's can boost their effects whether real or placebo as well. So I would recommend going at it with both barrels blazing. I had a year and a half of positive experience with paxil and limited success with Lexapro. I always try to do my own work as well with Positive thoughts, exercize, and spirituality. Most methods worked for me as long as I worked if you know what I mean. When I would slack up my results would too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts