Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my senior year and first out of the dorms and I think I feel a lot better living by myself, but I would still like to take it further. Has anyone found comfort by moving to a rural setting or maybe even by being self-sufficiant? I think the internet makes this more possible, because I could remove myself from society but still be "connected".

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,072 Posts
A few years ago I moved to a new city for school. In essence I became a hermit because I lived alone & rarely spoke with anyone besides family. I did actually enjoy being alone much of the time but it also made it harder & harder to be with people as well so it's not necessarily a good idea, at least not when you're younger. You needn't be super social but you likely should stick with it a bit until older.

All that said the idea of living a quiet life in a rural setting crosses my mind regularly, particularly somewhere near mountains

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nope, avoidance only works for so long. Man is a social animal as everyone says, and isolation begins to screw your mind after some time. You don't have to be constantly surrounded by people, but meeting others from time to time is healthy. I'd say that if you are more comfortable out of the dorms, then stay there, but don't take it too far.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I've thought about this but I keep coming back to figuring out how I would find a job or make money in such a rural setting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried being reclusive and it's only enjoyable for so long.

Some time alone would probably do you a lot of good. I wouldn't suggest completely cutting people off though, you'll just further isolate yourself and feel depressed after a while.

Keep challenging yourself to be social and take breaks in between. That's the most practical way to handle it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've lived in a rural area all my life, we do have houses everywhere but the nearest small shop an garage is a mile away and there's nothing else here. When i worked i had to drive 30 miles each way and it got very tiring and expensive.

I've come to realise that even if i did live in an urban place with nightlife and the such i'd still be the same person as i am now, perhaps because i've got used to a reclusive way of life.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
my ex-boyfriend basically lives this way other than to go to work and buy groceries or necessities...

He wants to live a monastic life or be a priest... he wants to be alone all the time from what he says.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, what I have in mind is to not really be completely isolated. Now, I live in a small college town, but it seems very busy to me, and my parents live in a very populated suburb. I think I would like to move to a small town and get a house about a half hour out of town. And, yeah, I'll still have to work. So isn't working and being around people for that eight hours enough of staying social? Then, I can go home, and enjoy the country. What I would really like is a house in the country/desert, without even many other houses around, and I would like to own a lot of the land around my house. I guess this is unrealistic, but that is sad to me. I feel like if I'm going to go to college and get a job and do everything correct by societies standards I should at least be able to live how I want. Unfortunately, maybe it won't ever happen. Even if I did live in the country there would probably be other houses around me and there would be farm land all around me that I couldn't wonder across.

Basically, I want to be able to go into nature when I want to and actually be alone. Everywhere I go around here, to parks or nature trails, there are a bunch of other people there. Where is the relief? Any suggestions? Maybe it would be better if I lived by a giant state park like yellowstone. Or in a desert lot in New Mexico. Could I get some solitude out there? I really want to achieve this lifestyle in some way, and like I said, I won't be a hermit because I'll still need to work. So, any suggestions on how to achieve this goal?

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my ex-boyfriend basically lives this way other than to go to work and buy groceries or necessities...

He wants to live a monastic life or be a priest... he wants to be alone all the time from what he says.
I can relate to this and thank you steelmyhead, that is exactly the type of settings I am attracted to. It looks like they already started though and I am not religious. Also, I notice that the article says:

"Prolonged silence, they explain, is the only way to reach the deep level of inner awareness required to bring true happiness to the world.

"If I can get to the position of being perfectly free of suffering and develop high levels of mental clarity that cause enlightenment, I can show others how to get there perfectly, quickly," said Dreyfus"

I agree that a type of enlightenment can be achieved (that is why I'm seeking it), but unlike these people, I don't believe it can be maintained once one moves out of their utopic setting. Going from a silent desert to a crowded city after a long time would be a hard adjustment, I think.

There is a video on youtube:

about a guy who lives in the desert and has it rigged to be almost totally sustainable: water well, solar energy, compost toilet, etc.

That really inspired me to start thinking about this. Also, Les Stroud from Survivor Man has built a similarly sustainable home for him and his family.

If anyone else has stories or ideas that relate, I'd love to hear them!

·
Banned
497 Posts
This is my senior year and first out of the dorms and I think I feel a lot better living by myself, but I would still like to take it further. Has anyone found comfort by moving to a rural setting or maybe even by being self-sufficiant? I think the internet makes this more possible, because I could remove myself from society but still be "connected".
i used to absolutely love being a hermit, it was so comfortable . i used to go to work then come home and just relax watching tv. at the wekend id hide away, relax, eat all kinds of junk food , watch all kinds of tv, and fantasize about how i was gonna turn my life around and make my dreams come true .

its highly comfortable but you have to realize its seriously damaging to your life , its no way to live

1 - 12 of 12 Posts