Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you compare yourself with others you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
This is so true. There's also the fact that it encourages conformity.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
I love this. I saw a stone with the first line etched into it at a memorial garden last year. I looked it up and discovered the full poem. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Desiderata is special to me, too. :) So many very true statements.

My grandparents had a big wood panel with the full poem behind their dining room table, I used to read it as a kid. After they passed away, I took it home... It now hangs in my bedroom. Really does keep you grounded. I always get a peaceful feeling reading it.

Sry for writing a novel, kinda excited to see that other people love it too :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
What if i don't believe in God?
There's only one line that references religion: "Be at peace with god, whatever you conceive him to be." I'm an atheist, so I kind of just overlook the first half and think of it more as a philosophical poem. ;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
there is also: ''In life's race there is only 1st place and last place''

There are many philosophic phrases that are contradictory, you shouldn't trust it that much.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
There's only one line that references religion: "Be at peace with god, whatever you conceive him to be." I'm an atheist, so I kind of just overlook the first half and think of it more as a philosophical poem. ;)
really some atheists are very extremists in there thoughts :blank
can't you just read it to see if it can benefit you without thinking
or looking if it is about god or whatever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts