Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only person with absolutely no friends, acquaintances or even online friends? I never had any, ever. Literally the only thing I had to talk to are my cats and my mom just gave them all away. I want friends but I just can't for the life of me talk to people so I'm mute all the time. Even if I did have friends it would be exhausting to talk and come up with what to say. I'm a real loner amongst loners.

·
banana enthusiast
7,045 Posts
I have had a few friends before, but not currently. I've gone the majority of my life without any friends. I'm not sure what advice to give, since even the friends I have had before have all approached me first and were outgoing. It's been especially hard the last 6 or 7 years, because no one has tried to get to know me in that time and therefore I haven't had friends because the prospect of initiating anything just makes me freeze up in terror.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want human friends but at the same time I don't. But as a human I just have this annoying feeling of loneliness. I feel like I was meant to be a more solitary animal, which is probably why I relate so much to cats and other felines. When my mom gave away my cats I cried and felt like how normal people feel when they lose loved ones. My cats were my only friends. What's worse is that she just dumped them in the streets so they're probably going to struggle in the mean streets as strays. I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I really don't have any friends, either. I used to have a small social circle in middle school and a few people when I was in high school, but for the most part, I've been a loner. I'm a natural loner and introverted, but there are times when I do want to connect with other people and at least form a few long lasting friendships. I met one person at work several months ago, and she and I got along really well, actually calling each other, outside of work. But she quit that job a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not sure if she and I will keep in touch. I talked to her about hanging out recently, and she never called me to make definite plans even though she seemed interested in doing something together, so who knows how long she and I will keep in touch.
As far as online friends, I've managed to meet a couple of people on a social/chat site (it's really mostly a chat service though)recently, and one of the people I chatted with, I will probably keep in touch with on messenger.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey just be yourself.

Some people will accept you for who you are. I'm also considered a loner. One time my teacher pointed that out 'cause I was the only one without a partner and the girl I was with soon left me to be with this other girl that had recently arrived who was her friend. "Oh a loner" she said. I know she didn't mean anything by it but when i heard that I felt bad and thought about it constantly, but I got over it. People who respect and admire you will consider you their friend.

There's one guy I know who really is my friend because he knows I don't really talk much yet he respects that and understands. When he refers to me as my friend and stuff like that I literary feel like crying because I usually feel alone but know that I'm not (God/faith makes me realize this).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whenever Ive had a friendship start ,I always end up blowing it., I think I have a problem accepting acceptance. I push people away before they get their feelings hurt.

·
Lurker
1,103 Posts
depressed

I feel exactly the same way... My favourite pet cat ran away 10 years ago :cry and the only "friends" I've ever had were from elementary school but they all moved away to a different school by the end of the year :sigh I tried chatting with them on MSN but they hardly talk to me anymore.
A few people might talk to me sometimes but no one really cares about me.

·
Person doodling at work
378 Posts
Hi there! if you want an online friend respond to the post. I'll be your friend :)

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Hello. I have a few friends now, but my track record isn't so great. I was pretty depressed in college and high school so I wasn't able to keep many friends. I'm not depressed at all anymore but when I finished college and started working I realized my social skills were totally lacking. I am still trying to improve my skills and trying to develop a group of friends. Every day is a struggle but I really think I am improving. I used to be so bad that a phone call or a simple conversation with someone working at a store was hell for me. Now I don't even have to think about these things. There is hope!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I never had any friends in my entire life. When i was little no one wanted to play with me or talk to me because they thought I was weird. Now that I am 18 I don't have anyone to talk to. I am alone in every step that I make. I hear people saying they don't have any friends but they actually do, fake or not they do have. Not me, I never had one. I wish i had cats, my mom hates animals and she doesn't want them around the house. I know how you feel, sometimes sitting alone at lunch I'm about to cry because I feel everyone hates me. Everyone has friends and boy/girlfriend and I'm just there like a mummy, and others look at me weird, and most of the time I go to the girls bathrooms and stay there so no one can look at me and laugh at me. I tell myself I shouldn't care about anyone because nobody cares about me. You're not alone, I'm the same;(. (sorry,I wrote a lot. I'm new to this site that's why. Feels good to know I'm not alone. Maybe we can be friends:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
unpleasant, can't talk normally amongst other people, never shared my thoughts, introvert, bad communication skill -- never had any friends -- weirdest person ever :frown2:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 0 friends yes I mean 0 friends . I used to have a few friends but never like a best friend or something . The few friends I did have stopped talking to me in High School and acted like I didnt exist they pretty much ignored me . I had a few online gaming friends but they started to get real lives and they basically left me too . Now I mainly play video games alone online . At least I have online gaming because it makes me feel a little less lonely . I do not have any online gaming friends anymore either . I play online by myself and I talk to no one . But it does make me feel less lonely when I am playing video games with other actual people online even if I dont talk at all .

·
Ended my SA, MDD, AvPD ++
329 Posts
Have you ever examined the matter or even asked yourself if you do actually need friends, etc?

There is a widespread myth in society that every person is or must be social, or that being social is "normal".
This is a deducement that is often made from an even more ubiquitous expression of "humans are social".
But these are only ideas that suit some people and there is great variation even in those who desire social interaction as to how they are social and with whom, how often and other elements.

But it is greatly overstated and believed what other people can bring a person and this is often accepted without question and without any evidence.

Its not anyone's fault though because pretty much everyone is conditioned, from an early age, to believe that we need to have people around us in some form and most people have some form of family that they experience from birth. Thus, it is often not questioned by people whether having people around them actually suits them or not and since most people do not examine this aspect of their lives and just assume it to be true, those who it does not suit often suffer when they are around other people or when they enter into social situations, without knowing why.

Other people mostly bring distraction, novelty and moments of pleasure. Anything else that someone believes someone else brings them is likely to have been created in their mind. And since the mind cannot distinguish between what is real and what is not, someone can get the same kind of experience when they have someone in their life, and all that comes with that and believe the other person is causing/creating it.

Each person, especially those on this forum, would be well advised to not accept what other people do and to discover what they need in order to meet their own true needs, because it is their life and not anyone else's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you ever examined the matter or even asked yourself if you do actually need friends, etc?
I think that is a good point you can live happy without friends . Everybody is different but for me I am learning to accept who I am and what I have always been .

·
Registered
11 Posts
No real friends here. Known people for years but don't call them friends. My wife says her friends are my friends but she also says they think I'm stuck up. I can't stand two faced people, and hate being social. I feel like I'm saying something stupid or I think later I shouldn't have said that. My speech is sketchy when I talk to others and I swallow like I'm gulping because I get caught up on the way I'm talking to begin with. It just makes me feel stupid. Always second guessing myself. My problem isn't that I haven't been exposed or had the opportunity, the anxiety is too great. I just don't like being social or around others, therefor no friends.

·
Ended my SA, MDD, AvPD ++
329 Posts
I wish this worked for me. I also wish I didn't need any people in my life to give me a sense of meaning. I see a friend once every 3 months or so, and I talk to 2 friends online, but I still feel empty from insufficient friend socialization. I spend my day doing my hobbies, but I still feel like my life is meaningless without close friends or girlfriend. I feel like I'm wasting my life this way, and not really living. The problem is, it's hard to find friends to connect with.
The reason you and many others cannot find meaning is because there is no meaning to be found. This is just a human concept, an invented idea foisted onto and into people because we seem incapable of just accepting life as we find it, the way all other living organisms do.

Here are some more things that do not exist, that we do not need and which levy an unnecessary burden on the mind. They are also all a source of suffering.

Adornment, augmentation, associations, definition, improvement, purpose, beliefs, believing, ideas, concepts, opinions, imagination, fantasy, making and taking sides, classification, categorization, attachment, identity, badges, labels, comparison, judgments, slogans, causes, validation, approval, goals, aims, plans, paths, achievement, completing, fixing and curing.

We are all fine, just being.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts