Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been going on this long and it feels like people have found a way to live life and not lose their minds.
Meanwhile....

·
Failure's Art
1,904 Posts
Yep, the lockdown life is normal to me now. My old life seems distant and abnormal at this point. But I think once I am vaccinated and most other people are as well it won't take long to get used to "normal" again. I'm kind of looking forward to it and kind of dreading it. Wish I could keep the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel like most people around me are using their time better than I am. People who were very energetic and proactive are simply putting that energy into other things, they didn't become couch potatoes overnight. Never been into that whole "I feel better now that everyone's miserable" mentality and I don't think that's what's happening.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,572 Posts
It's depressingly boring and eradicates any hope of life progress, but I'm equally worried about whether I'll be able to cope when it ends. Having to deal with inspections and going into the rental office again, suddenly meeting people and having to converse after a year or two of not doing so, driving more than a few miles, everyone invading my personal space, and just having to be responsible for doing something with my life again. The past year has been an excuse to not have to worry about how empty my life is, and I'll miss that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's made me realize how strange and unusual my behavior was before. I have basically not changed any my habits due to the lockdown... literally zero changes besides wearing a mask.

·
Dog in the sun.
433 Posts
^
Yeah me too, other than the mask nothing's changed.

·
Super Moderator
33,658 Posts
Everything is exactly the same for me except that I wear the mask when I go out (which I also kinda like because it's nice on cold days and there's nothing better for anxiety than everyone wearing a mask). I could certainly get used to that and I hope people will continue to wear them for years. Even if not everyone does, I suspect a number of people will continue to wear them every day. Which I kinda think is a good change anyway. Except I do kind of miss seeing attractive women when I go out. :lol I find myself noticing their hair and eyes more.

I'm not really a fan of looking every day to see how many people died though.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Still working form home which will be a year Apr 1st. I still have to go into my office to do some things I can't from do from home, but go in way before they open. I share an office and Admin doesn't want more then one person in the offices. It seems I am more productive working at home then I was at the office. Really want to continue especially in the winter I don't have to drive on the ice rink roads. My Supervisor also wants to continue to work from home. I am still doing the grocery pickup. I haven't been in a grocery store since early October. I am also paying for gas at the pump. The only time I had to go into the gas station is to buy the city trash bags.

·
SUS Member
10,507 Posts
Just feels like another variation of Hell World to me. Like moving from the sixth level of Hell to the seventh.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's depressingly boring and eradicates any hope of life progress, but I'm equally worried about whether I'll be able to cope when it ends. Having to deal with inspections and going into the rental office again, suddenly meeting people and having to converse after a year or two of not doing so, driving more than a few miles, everyone invading my personal space, and just having to be responsible for doing something with my life again. The past year has been an excuse to not have to worry about how empty my life is, and I'll miss that.
Pandemic will definitely stay for a while. I guess I'm the odd one in that I'm awfully codependent on others, perhaps even total strangers for some signs and symbols of life carrying on. Texas will surely be dealing with it a while longer. Smh.

Just feels like another variation of Hell World to me. Like moving from the sixth level of Hell to the seventh.
I like this interpretation. I'm going to use it.

The only thing I super regret is not getting my mental health in shape pre-pandemic even though last spring and summer wasn't that bad at all. That and trying to find a work from home job. Probably easy to find but meh.. I have no skills.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,505 Posts
It wasn't very much of an adjustment for me. I'm not saying that like I'm some badass or anything, it just was not that much of a significant change where my life was turned upside down or disrupted in any significant way.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
Things have been slightly better for me in the last few months since I started making YouTube videos last summer and started getting more views/subscribers starting around late December. The pandemic barely effected my life, except one concert I was planning on going to was postponed twice and eventually cancelled. There was another one I kind of wanted to go to as well (MCR reunion, would have preferred smaller venue concert though,) but only found out about that too late and tickets were sold out anyway so would have depended on if I could find a cheap second hand ticket.

It's also important to note that slightly better for me is still other people's rock bottom/cringe compilation lol. Which is pretty funny but it's all relative. 2020 was better than 2017-2019.

I feel like most people around me are using their time better than I am. People who were very energetic and proactive are simply putting that energy into other things, they didn't become couch potatoes overnight. Never been into that whole "I feel better now that everyone's miserable" mentality and I don't think that's what's happening.
I wouldn't say I felt better because people were miserable (but I guess that's mostly framing,) but I think the fact that culture changed dramatically had a positive effect initially on my state of mind, and then clearly it's nice to be closer to average.

It's made me realize how strange and unusual my behavior was before. I have basically not changed any my habits due to the lockdown... literally zero changes besides wearing a mask.
Yeah it didn't even do that for me lol. I already knew that.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
Due to my already lack of social and personal life for the most part regularly, the pandemic itself has made a minimal difference to me. I think if the pandemic were to happen maybe 10 years earlier, it would've had a much greater effect on me, since I actually had kind of a life, going out more often, traveling more often, and was doing much much more things at that phase of my life.

In reality, the biggest difference it had on me so far was: not being able to go to the gym, working from home daily, severed relationships with my nieces and nephews, and meeting up with some friends 2-3x per year now went to zero. The underlined one to me is what bums me out the most though. Because I don't think that is realistically something I can get back. At their age, once the relationship is severed, it's gone.

For people that have lost jobs, lost their homes, lost their businesses, their livelihood, and their dreams falling apart, in abusive homes, bad mental health issues, they have it much worse than me.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,572 Posts
I guess I'm the odd one in that I'm awfully codependent on others, perhaps even total strangers for some signs and symbols of life carrying on. Texas will surely be dealing with it a while longer. Smh.
I think this is much harder for big metropolis people for a lot of reasons. Big cities are designed to cram people together in just the ways that have to be avoided, so it must take a lot more conscious effort to navigate. City people deal with it so they can enjoy all their social venues that are now closed. And because you normally saw crowds, now it feels unnatural to you when people aren't congregating.

In my town, even though it's not rural, crowds were never normal. There were never many social venues. Coming within 6 feet of someone was a very rare occurrence in my apartment complex walkways. Being the only person in the laundry room was normal before it was mandated. I don't wear a mask outdoors because I'm never near anyone outdoors.

And a lot of people have been carrying on as if the pandemic weren't a thing here. A number of local restaurants never stopped indoor dining and put up "hungry lives matter" signs to protest the restrictions they ignored. The sheriff promised to never enforce anything pandemic-related. There's been a fair number of unmasked people in stores all along (but thankfully the stores aren't crowded... even though there's been no lines or capacity limits). The neighbor children continue to play and shriek as ever.

So there's a lot more normality than I suppose you must be experiencing.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
Things are starting to get a lot a lot more "normal" here. Not completely of course but it's nothing like when we were locked down last year. I got a taxi today and didn't feel concerned at all - there's very little virus here now.

My wife is still very cautious. She says she's basically waiting for the vaccine.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been working from home since 2016, and never had much of a social life anyway, so little has changed for me. I gained about 10 pounds over the last year from not going to the gym. I've tried to compensate by taking long walks and doing calisthenics or yoga at home, but I guess that doesn't burn as many calories as weightlifting or the stairmaster.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It didn't take me a lot of adjusting tbh. Actually I kind of enjoy grocery shopping with a mask cause it's a nice way to hide my face.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
I am honestly getting increasingly fearful of the possible side effects I may have with the vaccine. I have a feeling it would be very bad for me. Like emergency room bad.

It didn't take me a lot of adjusting tbh. Actually I kind of enjoy grocery shopping with a mask cause it's a nice way to hide my face.
One of the big silver linings I find with the pandemic. Hate it when I run into people I know or recognize and i am not in a socializing mood.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
I am honestly getting increasingly fearful of the possible side effects I may have with the vaccine. I have a feeling it would be very bad for me. Like emergency room bad.
Have you had a reaction to a vaccine before? Will you be getting the Pfizer one?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts