Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've havent posted here in a long time, and had made a similiar thread to this a long time ago, but i'm still wondering if anybody has actually been completely or close to completely cured of their social anxiety and panic attacks (or depression)? Last time, I got pretty bad answers because nobody had seemed to be cured of their symptoms, so it has led be to believe that no meds really work. This is my last attempt to go back on meds (have been med free for 2 years) and really need some insight. I know for the most part, if you are still coming to forums like these, you most likely still suffer from something, but any input on if you have been cured will be excellent. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is a strange comparison, but I think SA is like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia - it cannot be "cured" at this point in time. I think SA can only be treated and kept in check.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I have not been cured but Paxil has reduced my SA by about 85%. My depression I still live with and I still have general anxiety. I agree that this is something that can not be cured.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've not been cured, but I'm a lot better than I was years ago.

IMO if you rely only on passive treatments like therapy and meds you won't come very far!

Your brain needs many positive emotional experiences from activities to erase or at least decrease negative emotions stored. Unfortunateley negative ones (especially those from childhood) dig in more quickly and take longer to decrease.

Drugs and therapy can help but only superficially, IMO.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Medication is step 1, learning to live with the great loss it has caused in our lifes is the next, and therapy might be useful there.

Although I am of the opinion that once you start medication, you might as well go for the superhuman state of being, and you'd not really have a need for therapy. Now tell me, what do I have to take to achieve that state? ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i think it doesnt matter what u use to cure yourself, meds or therapy/self therapy, if u beleive that sa goes away it goes away)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the people who were cured don't feel the need to visit/post on this forum any more. Many Nardil and Parnate users stopped posting here so I'm guessing they are completely cured. For example, there was this person whose name is Colonelpoop who stopped posting here after his social anxiety has been destroyed by Nardil. On the other hand, Medline has been cured, but he's still around answering questions and helping people out.

- Has anybody been cured?
- Yes, but most of them left SAS.
Exactly what I thought. In fact, I believe coming to sites like these all the time may in turn increase the problem you're dealing with, but at the same time a great place to come in you are in great need. Has anybody here tried parnate or nardil?

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
IMO if you rely only on passive treatments like therapy and meds you won't come very far!

Your brain needs many positive emotional experiences from activities to erase or at least decrease negative emotions stored. Unfortunateley negative ones (especially those from childhood) dig in more quickly and take longer to decrease.

Drugs and therapy can help but only superficially, IMO.
yeah, i was reading in a book about the brain - the amygdala generates the anxiety based on pretty crude information, then the cortex (ie higher thought) can damp it down. but getting the amygdala to shut up is kind of a problem. having lots of positive experiences would probably help, like you say.

maybe nardil etc can get the amygdala to shut up by increasing dopamine? i dunno.

yeah i'm still dealing with sa - i'm doing psychodynamic therapy to try to fix the weird interaction patterns i learned in childhood, which i think were contributing a lot to the sa. i think it's helping. and i'm on paxil also. and i quit caffeine. and i think socializing on here has helped a lot also - more positive experiences.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MAOI's have pretty much cured panic attacks for me. On high doses of Nardil it had a pretty big impact on social fears, but I don't like taking high doses of medication. Lower doses it still helps alot but not to the point that I would use the word cured.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Medication is step 1, learning to live with the great loss it has caused in our lifes is the next, and therapy might be useful there.

Although I am of the opinion that once you start medication, you might as well go for the superhuman state of being, and you'd not really have a need for therapy. Now tell me, what do I have to take to achieve that state? ;)
Ask me that question in 4 weeks. By then I will be "superhuman". Just got a few last things to sort out.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Ask me that question in 4 weeks. By then I will be "superhuman". Just got a few last things to sort out.
We're having some problems with the world economy, the situation in the Middle East and the pig flu, could you solve that in a month please? ;)

PS: Also our airplanes like to crash... and this time we can't blame Osama.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Obviously there's varying degrees but I think some people can certainly beat it or outgrow it. For example, some people might have major hangups about social situations but learn to cope simply by forcing themselves to go out more and become more extroverted.

Sometimes I get nervous about social situations but if I push myself often I'm ok. Something I get really, really nervous about is starting new jobs but if I stuck at it its ok eventually. My social anxiety is probably very minor compared to most on here though.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
For what it's worth, I would say that paxil has 'cured' me of panic attacks and decreased my general social anxiety by about 75%

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't been cured, but my SA has been reduced about ~75% by not even using drugs. Exposing myself to more and more people and talking with them has helped alot.

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
From my experience you have to keep trying different meds until you find something that works for you. This can take a looong time(possibly years). Nothing was really effective for me until I started on Effexor XR. This has had a very noticeable effect on my SA & the resultant physical symptoms(blushing, panic attacks, depression, etc). I'd estimate I'm about 95% improved.

Of course I still get anxious &/or panicky under certain conditions. But these are pretty extreme situations in which most of the general population would feel anxious(job changes, public speaking, dating, etc). Therapy helps alot IF you are willing to invest yourself and share everything with your therapist. Complete honesty is very important.

Ironically, I think a part of my personality really helped me out too. Years ago I had pretty extreme SA. But I am pretty strong willed and would just do things I was afraid to do. I had to go through massive amounts of anxiety, embarrasment, yadda, yadda, yadda. But I just decided to keep going & things gradually improved.

I still come here because there remain other issues to deal with having not really lived a "normal" life. I tend to post more in the "social" threads toward the southern periphery of the board. I consider this place less of a waste of time than other websites. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
nope, were all doomed. Easier answer.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There are enough substances that can prevent tolerance. So you can keep your 'euphoria' for the rest of your life.
The only thing I'd be worried about is 'cardio overload'.
+ take anti oxidants like vitamin c 1-5 gram time released to prevent neurotoxicity.
Is there any actual evidence that taking vitamin C prevents neurotoxicity? that sounds a bit anecdotal to me, and anecdotes are by no means something I'd wager my life on.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of any stimulant beyond a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was cured with Xanax 2mg TID. I was first put on it at age 16. Eight years later my Psychiatrist pulled me off it now I am back to square one. (Was in the ICU for 2 weeks detoxing off it + hell) I have tried SSRI's/SNRI/TCA's. The only that is left to try is MAOI or ECT. I pray that Nardil works.

·
Registered
336 Posts
im almost cured. not cured but recovered. Im sure one day i will come back to visit this forum and post how i suceeded. Ive done that with another forum about one of my past problems and left that. I think once your on the right track, you lose intrest in these forums and want to socialize and get out.\
social anxiety is a combo of pyschological and brain. Alot of it is psychological, and meds can help, but rarely cure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts