Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on this forum specifically because I read about how people with acne are very conscious of themselves and how many have social anxiety. I'm turning 27 this year. I never had a job before in my life. I have graduated college with a degree but never bothered looking for a job. The reason for this is because i used to play poker as my income for a bit before things went sour. However as a result i never bothered looking for a job because i have anxiety. The main reason for this is because of my acne and i read how acne causes anxiety which is true. I remembered how back when i was in college, i missed some classes because of how bad my acne was and thus stayed inside. I been staying inside so much inside my home because i dont want to leave the house as my acne has reappeared again and made me really depressed.

I know acne has ruined a lot of ppls social lives as it did when i was in college and when my acne went away few years ago i was so relieved. I read about the young ppl who stay inside because of acne and read about ppl here who dropped out of school because of it. I felt that way as well when i was younger but i never dropped out... i basically missed many days of classes.

My acne back then was moderate and a little bit close to severe. Now my acne is back to moderate but the biggest problem for me is i always have red marks that look worst than acne. I had this problem back a few years ago as well.

I would like to know is there anyone here that is at least 25 and over that just stays at home and never look for a job or anything like that DUE TO ACNE OR RED MARKS? Also, are there many of you guys who are 25+ who just stay at home and never look for a job and just stay at home because you have social anxiety? Is there anyone that has a college degree but never bothered to look for a job and just stay at home and do NOTHING due to social anxiety?

Because i know there are tons of ppl like this that are in their early 20s etc but its not big problem because you still are young. I'm talking about ppl who are 25+ and basically just do nothing with their lives due to acne. It could also be like if you work a job but then quit because your acne got so bad you dont even want to go outside.

I'm very curious if i'm one of the few like this that are 25+. Also for those with no acne but just have social anxiety... are there many of you people who just sit and do nothing? At first I thought i was one of the few who are like this but then i start reading this forum and read how so many ppl here dont do anything and are in their 20s. Are there anyone here that just stays inside at home doing nothing with their lives and in their 30s and up and basically live with their parents?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had terrible acne into my early 30s. In the last couple of years I made some changes that made a huge difference to me. My skin is pretty much 100% clear now, I do still get the odd zit if I pig out on junk food, but I don't do that much nowadays. Here are some of the changes I made that finally cleared my acne.

- Gave up dairy products (milk is meant to be responsible for acne in a lot of cases)
- Cut out wheat almost entirely (I still eat a little now and again, but I used to eat half a loaf of bread per day at one time)
- Shave every day. I shave in the shower because the warm water allows the blade to shave with minimum irritation to your skin.
- Cut out almost all sugary foods (cut out junkfood and you'll see a massive difference)
- Cut as many carbs out of your diet as possible
- Drink 2 or 3 cups of nettle tea a day.
- Get 8 hours+ sleep per night

I was a junkfood addict for years, but I'd been told over and over again by my doctor that my diet would have zero effect on my acne. He was 100% wrong, if I'd known that sooner I wouldn't have had to spend my entire 20s covered in acne.As for topicals, the only thing that ever worked for me was benzoyl peroxide, the problem was that it destroyed all my clothes because it bleaches anything it comes in contact with! Do you think that your diet could be part of your problem? I would say that of all the changes I've made, cutting out sugar and dairy were the two that made the biggest difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes diet is big. Probelm is many times i eat stuff i regret and then i get huge pimples etc and marks. The problem for me is those red marks.

I'm just wondering if anyone here just shut themselves in their room and are 25+ due to their acne.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes, there were definitely occasions where I stayed at home and hid away, when my acne got extremely bad. The red marks do take a while to fade, but if you can stay acne free for a few weeks they will disappear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had terrible acne into my early 30s. In the last couple of years I made some changes that made a huge difference to me. My skin is pretty much 100% clear now, I do still get the odd zit if I pig out on junk food, but I don't do that much nowadays. Here are some of the changes I made that finally cleared my acne.

- Gave up dairy products (milk is meant to be responsible for acne in a lot of cases)
- Cut out wheat almost entirely (I still eat a little now and again, but I used to eat half a loaf of bread per day at one time)
- Shave every day. I shave in the shower because the warm water allows the blade to shave with minimum irritation to your skin.
- Cut out almost all sugary foods (cut out junkfood and you'll see a massive difference)

I was a junkfood addict for years, but I'd been told over and over again by my doctor that my diet would have zero effect on my acne. He was 100% wrong, if I'd known that sooner I wouldn't have had to spend my entire 20s covered in acne.As for topicals, the only thing that ever worked for me was benzoyl peroxide, the problem was that it destroyed all my clothes because it bleaches anything it comes in contact with! Do you think that your diet could be part of your problem? I would say that of all the changes I've made, cutting out sugar and dairy were the two that made the biggest difference.
so what do you eat now? veggies fruits and meat mostly or what?

·
Registered
771 Posts
so what do you eat now? veggies fruits and meat mostly or what?
I've always been a vegetarian, but I had a very poor diet up till a couple of years ago. Lot's of pizza, bread, cheese, sugary things. I'm a vegan now, so that doesn't leave me much to eat does it!:D I could probably name all the things I eat in a short list.

- Muesli with rice milk
- Spelt bread
- Hummus
- Quinoa
- Cous cous
- Chick Peas
- Tofu
- Tempeh
- Seitan
- Fruits and Veg
- Unsalted nuts
- Dairy free soup

That makes up about the entirety of what I eat. Boring I know, but it works for me. If you're a meat eater you can have a lot more variety I'm sure. One other thing that I think is really really great for my skin is drinking a green smoothie once a day. I hate vegetables, I find a green smoothie is the easiest way for me to tolerate greens, and surprisingly they actually taste good if you add some fruit in to sweeten it up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've always been a vegetarian, but I had a very poor diet up till a couple of years ago. Lot's of pizza, bread, cheese, sugary things. I'm a vegan now, so that doesn't leave me much to eat does it!:D I could probably name all the things I eat in a short list.

- Muesli with rice milk
- Spelt bread
- Hummus
- Quinoa
- Cous cous
- Chick Peas
- Tofu
- Tempeh
- Seitan
- Fruits and Veg
- Unsalted nuts
- Dairy free soup

That makes up about the entirety of what I eat. Boring I know, but it works for me. If you're a meat eater you can have a lot more variety I'm sure. One other thing that I think is really really great for my skin is drinking a green smoothie once a day. I hate vegetables, I find a green smoothie is the easiest way for me to tolerate greens, and surprisingly they actually taste good if you add some fruit in to sweeten it up.
Wow. Are those things expensive in the grocery?

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Acne ruined my life all I wanted to do with all my time is just not be seen it has mostly cleared but I still don't want to be seen coz my skin is not flawless like everyone elses

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wow. Are those things expensive in the grocery?
Not really. I think I was spending more money when I was buying loads of chocolate, pizza and crisps etc. If you shop for all those things at the health food store it can be very expensive, but luckily most of them are available at the supermarket too, which is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i didn't want this to turn into a thread where it was saying what food to eat etc. thing is if you eat vegetables/fruits.. then it would help but for many ppl it still doesnt.

·
pickles
532 Posts
Hi drew,

Im 28 and acne + picking have made me isolate myself frequently. I havent quit jobs over it but have missed worked as a result combined with anxiety/depression have led to my being let go.

If i didnt have to work, or get food I would rarely leave the house. But Its a combo of many things, not just the acne so I may not be the best example for you.

Ps ive tried diet changes too ans it didnt work, my acne seems to be due to hormone issues so i understand the frustration

·
waiting to bloom
8,863 Posts

I really don't like it when people say to change your diet, because it's usually coming from people who have eaten healthy all their lives. They don't understand. I'm an addict but I have no idea how to break the habit. It's a mix of the physical cravings (which are HORRIBLE if i might say. especially if I see food!) and boredom. I believe I could clear up my face if I changed my diet, but I have no idea how I can do it without relapse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had acne problems, too - still do actually, it's just all controlled with medication. People can't even tell anymore. It took a few years of experimenting to hit on the right combination, but it was so worth it.

Acne can really destroy your confidence, but there's help out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suffered from acne for a lot of years as a teen, I absolutely hated it. I tried virtually every product out there along with a healthy diet (which I still keep just because I got used to it) and even though this helped a bit it wasn't enough. I started taking accutane and in a matter of 5 months my acne was gone! I still get a zit here and there every once in a while but it is not nearly as bad as it once was. I obviously got a lot of scars but these can be treated with a special lotion (which btw is pretty strong) that can help them fade, especially in the face, as for back and chest scars they're harder to get rid of. I dont remember the name of this lotion but if you really need it I can look for it. Dermatologist also have a treatment by which they remove the top layer of your skin to reduce scars, I believe it's called microdermabrasion.
Don't let this get in the way of your life, it could be a lot worse you could suffer from a disease like HIV or Cancer, employers care about finding hard working people not what they look like (unless you want to be an actor or model or something of the sort).

·
SUPER EFFECTIVE!
830 Posts
I have acne, but for some weird reason it doesn't bother me. If I get a huge zit, it bothers me, but having a bunch of little ones doesn't. It's kind of weird because if my hair gets out of place, I freak out but acne, no problem. :stu

·
SASSY Member
39 Posts
I don't really agree with the idea that it's no big deal for people in their early 20s because we're still young. Age doesn't matter if you're still living with your parents and they feel you should either get a job or get out. It's a very big deal for me. I just quit my job at a movie theater, even though I was able to fake it since November of last year, because I just kept getting sick at the thought of summer break and having to deal with all those people looking at me. And me having to constantly make eye contact and keep a plastic smile on my face or else get chastised by my boss. I've had acne problems, and acne scars since I pick, since I was 9 years old and it's always been a big deal.

·
Banned
7,263 Posts
I have never had gross levels of acne. It's just a minor annoyance and every few months I always get a giant pimple on my nose. I can definitely relate to the staying at home and doing nothing thing though. I will be exactly like you in 4 years except without the acne lol.

Have you tried going to a dermatologist??

·
Sage of the Stars
1,876 Posts
Well, I can say that acne is a big part of what caused my social anxiety. I have an endocrine disorder called PCOS, and basically my hormones were so imbalanced and it was causing me terrible, red acne that wouldn't go away no matter what I did, until I was diagnosed with my disorder and got my hormones sorted out. Certain lighting makes my skin look ugly but it's clear for the most part. Oh yeah I was between 12 and 14 when this happened but ten years later and I still struggle with my self image...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts