1,072 Posts
I like Hufflepuff & Gryffindor best

Edit: haha, I love how Hufflepuff only has two votes :b
The sorting hat says:
These belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal.
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil.
I think I fit that description pretty well. I'm not really brave like the people in Gryffindor but I am extremely loyal and always try to be open minded and fair....so I guess that's why I like Hufflepuff lol. Plus, Tonks was a Hufflepuff :)

·
SAS Nonmember
148 Posts
It's really hard to say because there's such a horribly biased representation of them in the books that you can't accurately judge the atmosphere of each one. Slytherin in particular really gets dumped on, but why on earth would the founders have created a house with 100% bad characteristics? I'd probably end up in Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Something about Gryffindor rubs me the wrong way, a bit of self-righteousness maybe, or just extreme author bias.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Ravenclaw, obviously...
hehe Luna Lovegood was from ravenclaw!

I love this thread!!!
Gryffindor is my favorite house. When I was a child reading the books I always imagined myself living in Hogwarts. :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I really never cared too much about it when I was reading it. I was just rooting for the team Harry was on. I never thought about which house I would be put in.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
152 views, 22 votes, and 9 replies. Hmmm.... :b

BlueBamboo, I agree that there isn't equal representation of each house in the book. It's not very fair. And also I don't think Slytherin was created by the founders to be a house of all bad characteristics - actually, quite a few of their characteristics can be taken as positive in the right context, such as slyness. I don't have one of the books in front of me, so that's the only one I can think of, but I hope you get my point. :b Just as well, as you said, Gryffindor members can be self-righteous instead of just confident and brave. As I got further along in the series I started to get annoyed with Harry for that reason.

Also, for everyone, if you could elaborate on why a certain house is your favorite that would be awesome. Especially Slytherins (is it because Alan Rickman was hot as Snape in the movies? ;)) Actually, especially everyone, because the other houses are so under-represented. I think you'd have some interesting reasons for liking Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

And because talking about HP is fun. :)
I agree, you have to look incredibly deep into the book to find out the clues about all the houses, and even then, they aren't all represented well.
And Harry, I loved him in the beginning, but he became so freaking annoying after a while, I couldn't stand it.

Why Slytherin? This is going to be long because I love talking about Harry Potter.
Besides, Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs, Tom Felton, Christian Coulson, Ralph Fiennes, and Helena Bonham Carter, I believe that Slytherin represents ambition, determination, shrewdness, intelligence(which I think is practically the same as shrewdness), bravery, practicality, charisma, and cunning. The intelligence, isn't readily seen by the stupid choices a lot of the Slytherins in the book seem to make, but if you think about it, being shrewd and subtly tricking people to get where you need to be (or getting them where you want them) takes some intelligence and often times charisma.

Also, taking a favorite quote from the books,
"We Slytherins are brave, yes, but not stupid. For instance, given the choice, we will always choose to save our own necks."
Sounds incredibly selfish, but well, to me, it shows a strong will to survive or stay out of trouble. People probably take that horribly, but it's not saying they wouldn't try to save someone, but if it came down to saving themselves and someone else, well, they will choose themselves. I think this rings true for a lot of people, even if they don't admit it. Of course, there are exceptions. And who wouldn't keep their mouths shut (or at least think twice before opening their mouth) if they think it will help them stay out of trouble or keep them out of the way of danger?

Then there is the symbol of the house. The animal representing Slytherin House is a snake. Snakes have always been associated with evil and such. But then, snakes have always been misunderstood, haven't they? A quick google search ('snake symbol', first hit) reveals that snakes, while indeed being symbols of destruction, also symbolize strength, protection and rebirth. It puts a different light on the house to me. The medical symbol is a staff with snakes (sometimes only one, I think) coiled around it ? I doubt they use it to mean destruction and being sneaky. I won't go into doctors being sneaky, though. :no

Also, someone I talked to about this made a really interesting point to me about the Slytherins and the DA (Dumbledore's Army). Why were there no Slytherins in the DA? We may think it's because they just didn't come, but if I remember correctly, Hermione only invited people she knew and thought would come. Did any Slytherins even know about the DA and would they have been allowed in if they had? Since Gryffindor seems to have a huge prejudice against Slytherin, they most likely assumed none of them would have come and, if they did, most likely they were spying for their parents or some way to get the rest of the DA in trouble. I think if they would have approached some Slytherins in the background, some of the Slytherins may have joined and not for only evil reasons.

And this went on too long. :b

1 - 15 of 15 Posts