Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you hate going to the hairdressers and getting asked loads of questions by the hairdressers? I hate it. I shave my hair sometimes to avoid it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Do you hate going to the hairdressers and getting asked loads of questions by the hairdressers? I hate it. I shave my hair sometimes to avoid it.
Yeah I hate it too, especially when they are a gaggle of young attractive ladies like around here - it makes me feel worse for my pitiful answers, or I just lie and pretend I have a life.

I just go to the blokes barber shop down the road now, feel more relaxed although the haircut isn't quite as good, cheaper though.:um

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
I havent been to a hairdresser in 10 years. My wife was just cutting it short with the clippers for a while but she stopped about 6 mos ago, or however long it takes for my bangs to grow down to my mouth. Hoping soon I will be able to put it in a pony and get it out of the way. That way i can have a pony on the front and the back.

I didnt stop going to the hairdresser because of SA. The lady that used to do my hair is a good friend of my Mom's and I knew her my whole life. I quit going because of the price they charged to run the clippers over my head and be done in 5 minutes.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't like going to the barbers because of all the questions but I need to get my hair cut, I have no skills in that area, so I just do it. The thing I hate is that it's usually the same questions every time Where do you work? You got the day off? etc. etc. etc. .

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I started shaving my head when my hair grows to a certain length a couple of years ago. Which is just as well because I get dandruff and my head itches really bad if I have much hair. Keeping it bald (or close) helps a lot.

·
Doing my best
301 Posts
i just cut my own.

i really need to go somewhere to get it done though because it's now super long and i noticed the other day when i looked backwards in a mirror that it's very uneven. knowing my hair looks crazy does not help my sa.

the weird thing is i'm fine once i get in the chair - i just mumble through the questioning. i can't seem to make myself walk into a salon. the stylish women scare me! lol

·
wooden hippie nice
1,639 Posts
I've never been to the 'proper' hairdressers, I just go and get mine cut at a family friend's house. The first couple of times I was so nervous because I hate having to sit there and be forced to make conversation, but it's not too bad anymore. My mum usually has hers done at the same time so I'm not even on my own, which helps a lot, and also the person who does it is a chatterbox anyway so she'll just carry on talking if you're not being very talkative yourself.

I'd really love to go into a salon one of these days and get a complete style overhaul but my anxiety is holding me back. Part of the reason why I prefer getting it done how I do now is so that I don't have to sit there talking whilst looking at my reflection in the mirror the whole time... because that, to me, is torture. Currently it just gets done in the kitchen in front of the TV followed by a quick pop to the bathroom mirror to check it's okay, which I'm extremely thankful for.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I go to this nice lady who's cut my hair for a while now. She still asks me stupid questions like do you have a boyfriend? but for the most part we just talk about her kids for some reason. See once I learn a place I just stick with it.

The only problem is the owner of the salon who always calls me "kitty". He's creepy and tries to give me back massages lol. I figure if I can handle him than I'm ok with any hairdresser.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I *loathe* goiing to the hairdressers. but I don't wnat to be put through the torture of shearing my own mop. so I go. I make with the small talk, I smile, and in a half an hour,k less 9if I'm lucky, I'm set free.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I absolutely dread going to get my hair cut or anything like that. I stopped going about three years ago because I had a full blown panic attack as soon as I sat in the chair. I hate all the questions and small talk and don't like people touching me anyways lol. So now I have learned to cut my own hair and I've been told that I do a great job. I don't get my nails done anymore either for the same reason and I do my own. People make fun of me for not going to the salon but I can't help it. It's not worth the stress it causes me. Gosh, the more and more I read on this forum the better I feel to know there are other people out there just like me and that is very comforting.:D

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I don't enjoy the small talk either. I even go to this place I'm not very fond of, and I don't even like how they cut my hair, but they barely say one word to me which is great. I'm thinking of going back to my previous place because she is much better at it, but agh, so gossipy and chatty...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I go to this nice lady who's cut my hair for a while now. She still asks me stupid questions like do you have a boyfriend? but for the most part we just talk about her kids for some reason. See once I learn a place I just stick with it.

The only problem is the owner of the salon who always calls me "kitty". He's creepy and tries to give me back massages lol. I figure if I can handle him than I'm ok with any hairdresser.
there was this one lady who did my nails and she gave me a random massage, but for some reason the awkwardness went away and it felt m-azing haha

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've never been to the 'proper' hairdressers, I just go and get mine cut at a family friend's house. The first couple of times I was so nervous because I hate having to sit there and be forced to make conversation, but it's not too bad anymore. My mum usually has hers done at the same time so I'm not even on my own, which helps a lot, and also the person who does it is a chatterbox anyway so she'll just carry on talking if you're not being very talkative yourself.

I'd really love to go into a salon one of these days and get a complete style overhaul but my anxiety is holding me back. Part of the reason why I prefer getting it done how I do now is so that I don't have to sit there talking whilst looking at my reflection in the mirror the whole time... because that, to me, is torture. Currently it just gets done in the kitchen in front of the TV followed by a quick pop to the bathroom mirror to check it's okay, which I'm extremely thankful for.
i hate looking at my reflection while getting my hair done as well...i mostly look at the ground or just politely smile when they ask me how my hair looks so far.

·
"Individual lil ditty"
46 Posts
I guess if s0me0ne I didn't kn0w was trusting me t0 ch0p their hairs, I might try t0 talk t0 them in attempt t0 make them m0re "c0mf0rtable" with me t00!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts