Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else suffer anxiety caused by their hair? When I was 16, my hair was thinning badly in the frontal area. This was bad because I had semi-long hair that I had no intention of shaving it or cutting it really short. I was very embarrassed of it and was jealous of the other kids that had thick good-looking hair. It got so bad that I would bring a beanie to school to hide it even though they weren't allowed. Since then, I've been using a variety of hair-growing products and went to several salons and barbers with no good results. It's so debilitating to have thinning or balding hair, especially at such a young age...

btw: I'm using rogaine now and am seeing some results...but am experiencing shedding which I have to suffer through to hopefully get what I want. I'm really crossing my fingers on this.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
When I was in high school my hair started falling out but it was apparently due to all the anxiety and stress I was under. But at the time I thought it meant I was gonna be bald in a few years, which would have been sooo nice, on top of SA. But around that time (1987), minoxydil came out, and I thought, phew, they'll have some pill before too long that'll fix this.

Still waiting on that...

·
Banned
501 Posts
My hair is thinning and I know I'm going to be bald, but I don't have any anxiety about it. I pretty much accept it and I believe it won't stop me from getting any girls.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
But around that time (1987), minoxydil came out, and I thought, phew, they'll have some pill before too long that'll fix this.

Still waiting on that...
Ah, minoxidil, for those who want what amounts to an oil spill on their head twice daily FOREVER, taking only several hours to dry. And if you're lucky, you might even grow some "hair" from it. (One must define "hair" as cosmetically insignificant peach fuzz -- the kind of thing a 12-year-old boy would have for mustache.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I started going bald in my early 20s so I shaved it off. I like the bald look more so no, it doesn't bother me a bit. As an Asian dude, I can pull off the Shaolin master look.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LostPancake said:
thought, phew, they'll have some pill before too long that'll fix this.

Still waiting on that...
There's actually a pill out there called propecia, but there's alot of complaints that it increases anxiety, depression, and mind fog (reasons why I got off it) so I wouldn't recommend it...

UltraShy said:
Ah, minoxidil, for those who want what amounts to an oil spill on their head twice daily FOREVER,taking only several hours to dry.
Yea so true. I got used to it tho and I usually wear a hat to cover up the minox. I sorta see it as a sacrifice for something good.

The minox seems to be working. I can't wait until I can finally go outside without having to wear a hat.

·
Banned
577 Posts
I'm bald and it sucks. I wear a baseball cap almost daily. They say it makes you look experienced but in that case i'd rather be a novice. I'm contemplating hair transplant surgery but if there's a non-surgical solution that'd be great. I DON'T wanna do the comb-over thing and i think the bic'ing my head thing is too played out. You said you're using rogaine and it's working? What kind? Is it that ''guaranteed to work 80% of the time" one i see advertised a lot?

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Conquistador said:
You said you're using rogaine and it's working? What kind? Is it that ''guaranteed to work 80% of the time" one i see advertised a lot?
I use the topical (liquid) 5% kind. The one you see advertised alot is probably rogaine foam 5% which is basically the same thing but easier to apply. I don't know about 80%, but it is proven to stop hair loss.

Rogaine alone probably works well on me because I'm only 18 and it tends to work better on the younger. It might only give you peach fuzz...I would recommend you go on this site: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/ and research what's best for you.

I wear a baseball cap almost daily.
I can relate :(

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Even though I am not exactly for cosmetic surgery, I have wondered about hair transplant stuff. Well, just until I get married. After that, there may not be much need for it. :stu

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Even though I am not exactly for cosmetic surgery, I have wondered about hair transplant stuff. Well, just until I get married. After that, there may not be much need for it. :stu
There are some things they don't tell you in those endless late night infomercials for Bosley and other hair transplant places.

For one thing, if you get this transplant done at an early age, say 25, you'll have a lovely new hairline, but what about when you're 30 and hair behind that has fallen out? Well, it's going to look mighty stupid to have a nice hairline and then be bald behind that -- totally unnatural looking, so you then have to do it again to fill in that area. Well, then you're 35 and your hair has fallen out further back, so you're forced to do it yet again unless you want to look like a freak. It's not a one time thing. And if you want a "chick magnate" you might as well just buy a Corvette since all those transplants could well end up costing just as much.

And then there are the guys that can't be helped by hair transplants. You need enough donor hair in back to cover the balding area. If you're like Dr. Phil, Bruce Willis, etc there isn't anywhere near enough hair left to cover the bald area.

And then there is the scar left from cutting out that donor hair from the back. That will look just dandy when you finally give up this futile battle and simply shave your head.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I've been on finasteride for 2 years now. I don't think it has caused any increased anxiety at all. If anything it has diminished it because I no longer worry much about hair loss. I also use Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week because it is said to have anti fungal properties and limits DHT's production on the scalp.

If you really want to get serious and grow some hair back you really need to use the 3 in conjunction. You can get generic finasteride online for REALLY cheap without a prescription. Very reputable vendor and company too. I think I paid 60 dollars and it gives me 7-8 months of pills. Can't really beat that at all.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
I've been on finasteride for 2 years now. I don't think it has caused any increased anxiety at all. If anything it has diminished it because I no longer worry much about hair loss. I also use Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week because it is said to have anti fungal properties and limits DHT's production on the scalp.

If you really want to get serious and grow some hair back you really need to use the 3 in conjunction. You can get generic finasteride online for REALLY cheap without a prescription. Very reputable vendor and company too. I think I paid 60 dollars and it gives me 7-8 months of pills. Can't really beat that at all.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Somehow I missed the news about the pill thing - I guess it's been off my radar for a while.

On the other hand, I once saw this baseball hat at a hat store that had a built in wig with longish straight hair. It looked really good. But then you might actually attract some girl, and then at some point you'd have to take it off. :roll

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
the most reputable sites are unitedpharmacies.com and inhousepharmacy.com

I buy Fincar and split each pill into 1/4ths and put them in a pill container.

You can get Nizoral shampoo in any Wal Mart or other supermarket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the most reputable sites are unitedpharmacies.com and inhousepharmacy.com

You can get Nizoral shampoo in any Wal Mart or other supermarket.
How has that worked for you? Noticed a stop in hair loss? or gains?

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
How has that worked for you? Noticed a stop in hair loss? or gains?
Definite stop in loss. I really hadn't lost very much when I started it so I haven't had significant gains. The proof for me was noticing that their were gradually less and less hairs on my pillow when I woke up. Also, the hair on my hands/shower floor has decreased ALOT too.

I think the pills are best suited for maintaining the hair you already have (though alot of people DO regrow hair as well) and then the Minoxidil (Rogaine) is best to regrow. That's why I mentioned earlier that it's best to use them together because they each attack the hairloss from different angles.

I was using the rogaine foam for awhile and it made my hairline come back straight after a couple of months. I actually quit applying it because I didn't feel like I needed it to be THAT straight. I'll use it again if my temples started receding badly though for sure.

If you guys want to see real results from people go to this link and just look around. It's a forum just like this full of people who have dealth with losing hair. Lots of result pictures and updates. It's incredible.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewforum.php?f=30

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been losing my hair for three or four years now. I went on Propecia but it made me depressed(so my psychiatrist thought) so I'm off it. It's expensive too, so are all the other treatments. I can't afford to do much about it at the moment, so f*** it. It's the least of my problems really, but when I start working full time I'll look into it again.

·
Trapped in my own head
113 Posts
Heh, that's what I used to do when I still cared about going bald. I used Proscar, though. Something they don't tell you about that stuff is that it carries a risk of an enlarged prostate and/or prostate cancer.

When I started losing my hair at 18 I freaked out too. I thought I was too young and handsome to lose it and it got me down for a long time. I couldn't stand looking at mirrors and I got my hair cut a certain way to minimize the effects.

The turning point for me came when I was about 22. I met a guy at work who was a few years younger than me and had full-on baldness (Patrick Stewart style). He still managed to pull chicks and make all kinds of friends. I realized that hair isn't everything and anyone who'd judge me or write me off based on it isn't really worth my time.

I'm a lot happier since I accepted the fact that it's going. I don't even know why it bothered me, now that I think about it. There's no more depression whenever I look in the mirror, no more self-consciousness when I go out, no more pills or rituals in the morning, and no more money thrown away on haircuts. I just shave it and I'm good. Obsessing over hair is for girls, anyway! :b

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shaved my head at the begining of last year because I kept dying it and it turned into cotton candy.I knew I was being weird with dye but I didn't want to stop,so I shaved it all off!Now its almost to my shoulders,but still I hate it.I need to go to the salon but to affraid to.Anyway,its been a trigger for me cause I know it looks like crap.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So what are topical antangonists? Rogaine and stuff like that? Going from my experience I would recommend people(especially on this forum) be careful with Finasteride, I'd been depressed before and it was even worse on that stuff. Sometimes I think I don't care about going bald, then I see my hair in bright light and start caring again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts