Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This very embrassing for me, as I’ve always considered myself a highly
intelligent person deep down. One math class has hammpered me from transfering to another college for almost 2 years. The problem is everytime I take it serious problems crop up. 1st time I was depressed/worried about a relationship and I withdrew from the class.
2nd time I was under a major depression and my anxiety was so bad I couldn’t even take the final. 3rd time I take the class I became sick over a medication. It Landed me in a hospital, the instructor gave me an incompete at least rather than fail me. However the guy me told out of 5 people he’s given incompetes to none have passed the test.

Anyrate to fix the incompete I decided to hire a tutor. I’m hoping this will work out. I feel pathetic though that I have to resort to a tutor. At one point in my life I had 3.8 average… I just don’t feel I can master this problem alone without anyone to help without structure.

The triumph is that I’m helping myself I’m facing down my anxiety. I actually went to the tutoring place myself, talked to the guy in charge and arranged for a tutor. As embrassing as it may be for a person like me to need one I faced my anxiety and I’m glad. It’s strength of will, that’s what it takes!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To add to the story, I went and saw the tutor today.
She was 27 around my age, and I certainly got my money's worth.

After it was apparent she didn't know too much about algerba, we began to talk. I explained why I was getting a tutor and whatnot all the problems in my life and such. She helped restore some confidence in myself. A 3.8 average in your past you should be able to pass this incompete she says. You have to motivated and decidicated. Don't try to take the whole book on at once break into segments.

I think my problem has been confidence. She was a good counselor. I don't need tutoring I just need to study and work very hard!

·
Registered
57 Posts
what's the significance of a gpa? sigh, I don't like gpa's. They do have a point, but i believe that they in no way define your intelligence. I'm not ranting at you. I apologize if thats how I came across. It's more of a general opinion of mine.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
LostSoul - you did great - just stick with it and you will do fine! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
:agree
Lost Soul,

I had a similar experience. I was getting more and more behind in math class. I would get irritated and confused every time I opened the text book, knowing I was too far behind to catch up.

I was too nervous to go to the math lab at school (it's always packed) so I started looked for tutors who advertised on the school bulletin board. I honestly lucked out and get an awesome guy who teaches math at a neighboring college.

He was very patient and broke down difficult concepts one step at a time. I am actually getting a "B" in math now. Getting a tutor was the smartest move I made this semester.

I recommend it for anyone who feels lost in math, chemistry, etc ...
:popcorn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts