Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really scared when I got there, my heart was beating and I couldn't stop shaking but I am glad I went. She asked me a few general questions and then got into what I came for. I explained my social anxiety to her and also my general anxiety. Turns out I have signs of general anxiety disorder and panic disorder with slight agoraphobia. She really wants to continue working with me and I agreed so we set up two more appointments. I also was referred to a nurse practioner so I can get started on anxiety medication. I'm still nervous about the upcoming appointments but it feels good to finally take the next step.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well done on going, I've just started therapy as well.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Congrats! If it's not too personal, would you mind telling me what sorts of questions she asked? I'm want to see a therapist (for medication) but unfortunately lack your courage.

·
F♯ A♯ ∞
455 Posts
Congrats on taking the first step :)
Your experience sounds the same as mine. I hope you can settle in with this therapist and make some progress :)

All the best

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very cool. I'm actually visiting a therapist this Thursday. I hadn't been to one in quite some time but my Hypochondria is starting to act up a bit. I think it has something to do with getting older.

I turned 32 this year and it's making me feel more and more susceptible to mortal dangers (illnesses). Right now as I type this, there's a tender spot in my abdomen and I immediately suspect the worst.

Of course my rational mind tells me it's a strained muscle from all the working out I've been doing lately, my irrational emotions drudge up terrible thoughts that aren't warranted.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! If it's not too personal, would you mind telling me what sorts of questions she asked? I'm want to see a therapist (for medication) but unfortunately lack your courage.
She started by asking personal questions like about my family and my childhood. Then she just asked me why I was there and I started with social anxiety. Later on she brought out the DSM and just asked me questions about my symptoms then diagnosed me and referred me to somebody who can prescribe me something.

Now when I went to see the physician she didn't ask very detailed questions. She just wanted to know symptoms and then wrote me a prescription. I would see a therapist first and then see if they can give you a referral . Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts