Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, I thought that my SA had gone away, but it really hadn't.

If you are part of the same group of people, such as at school or church or work, you will eventually make friends simply through habituation, ie,. the simple passage of time.

I was part of a church and it was really great; I became really close to a lot of people and thought that my SA had gone.

But everyone moved or had kids or got married and the group broke up. I had to go find new friends and realized that my SA hadn't gone away. I had simply become habituated to the people in that group. I hadn't learned how to make friends, I'd simpyl become habituated to the people I was around.

So when I moved on and left, I had to start over at square one again. I keep finding myself having to start all over again because I don't have skills and I've not been attacking my SA in a systematic and disciplined manner.

I can't afford to just sit and wait for friendships to magically happen. As iget older, I don't have the luxury of waiting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in your same shoes. I'm starting over and have to try to create new friendships too. I started reading the Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne and it's doing wonders for my SA.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts