Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasnt too worried about this but this week there has been a huge escalation in the number of patients that have H1N1 flu. I am not trying to scare anyone but its rather frightening to see how many people are getting sick from this. I really wish I didnt work in a hospital right now. :(

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
It's all a media scare tactic/an excuse for another form of autocratic control (vaccines). Trust me, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all a media scare tactic/an excuse for another form of autocratic control (vaccines). Trust me, you'll be fine.
Umm.... I am not going by what the media says but rather the escalation of patients in the hospital that I work in. I am going by what I am seeing with my own eyes. I am at risk to get it because I have to go in these "isolation" rooms to care for these people. I wear the masks, gown, and gloves but its still somewhat nerve racking. I am a healthy person but there are lots of people that arent young, old or weak getting this.

2,348 Posts
Umm.... I am not going by what the media says but rather the escalation of patients in the hospital that I work in. I am going by what I am seeing with my own eyes. I am at risk to get it because I have to go in these "isolation" rooms to care for these people. I wear the masks, gown, and gloves but its still somewhat nerve racking. I am a healthy person but there are lots of people that arent young, old or weak getting this.
Did you have to get a vaccination? If I worked at a hospital I think I would get one.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They only had a limited supply and they gave them out for two hours during the time I sleep. Supposedly they are getting another batch in "soon" but God only knows when.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How close to capacity is your ICU right now? I have thought for a while this is a mess waiting to happen. Hospital overload is more scary than the virus when you think about it.

It sucks that you're exposed to it, but surely you must take comfort in knowing that it's all hype supporting "autocratic control."

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sucks that you're exposed to it, but surely you must take comfort in knowing that it's all hype supporting "autocratic control."
What are you talking about? Again, I am not talking about government conspiracies but the fact that there are a lot of people sick with the flu in the hospital I work in...

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
I'm aware that people are dying from it, but everyone is making it seem worst than it actually is.

I would go more into it, but I don't want to convince anyone else that the flu doesn't exist.

Jesus Christ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
H1N1 isn't just "the flu". It can kill a healthy adult in their 20's in 3 days. The flu kills the very young, elderly and people that are immune compromised.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
I was referring to an earlier post. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
I actually sort of agree with you Your Crazy. I have fairly strong views on the issue; but I realise that this is a highly contentious topic and discussions on it have not exactly ended well on these boards.

·
learning...
663 Posts
I think I should be getting the vaccine in the next few weeks (I'm a diabetic), but I'm a little worried about some people saying you shouldn't have it because of possible side-effects, etc. Is this just scare-mongering?
I will almost certainly have it anyway, but I'm still anxious about it.

To be honest, I woke up this morning feeling a little "off", like I'm getting a cold. I'm mildly hypochondriac.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Certainly the flu is a very dangerous illness around for hundreds of years. From what I heard about it each year 500,000 people die from it worldwide.

On a side note: People often label their common severe cold as "flu".

Anyway you should also keep in mind that you can make lots of money with trading on fear!!!

Yet despite their fear of becoming ill looking around many people still don't even follow the most simple and effective ways to avoid spreading and catching infectious diseases: Washing their hands regularly!

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
I think I should be getting the vaccine in the next few weeks (I'm a diabetic), but I'm a little worried about some people saying you shouldn't have it because of possible side-effects, etc. Is this just scare-mongering?
I will almost certainly have it anyway, but I'm still anxious about it.

To be honest, I woke up this morning feeling a little "off", like I'm getting a cold. I'm mildly hypochondriac.
I'm in a similar situation to you to be honest; I have mild asthma so automatically I'm on the high risk category apparently. But I'm against having the vaccine; there are many reasons for this, safety as you mentioned is a major concern but also I can't remember the last time I actually had one. I mean, this season's 'swine flu' is not nearly as potent as the past, so I'm struggling to really justify getting the shot - despite the media circus surrounding the issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts