Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
exactly how physical was he being? and how did his face feel beneath your righteous fist?

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
Pushing me around and occasionally like slapping me, if I remember correctly... He was VERY annoying.

And it felt pretty dank, not gonna lie! :b
wow yeah, sounds like you were well within your rights to defend yourself then... i would have done something really wack like spit on them and run away haha. but if this were happening to my son i'd tell him to try and settle it non-violently first and if it persisted i'd say go right ahead and choke the fool out

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
've had to deal with this with my son (age 14). It is hard to give that kind of advice any more with school's zero tolerance to bullying rules. My son was constantly being bullied but wouldnt say anything in fear of things getting worse. One day he snapped when being bullied and went off on them verbally making a threat of what he would do if they wouldn't leave him alone. He ended up getting suspended for a day because he made a threat.

My advice to him after that is to report everyone that teases or bullies him. I found it insane that the kid being bullied gets punished because the teachers are too blind to see whats going on in their classroom. He would likely get expelled if he hit someone. Since there are police in the school at all times he would likely have been arrested for battery too.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
There are rare instances like this where meeting violence with violence actually works. It's the reason why pacifism in the cold hard light of reality is just an idealistic pipe-dream. I wish it was not the case, but sadly it is.

A related internet quote :b :

'Violence is never the answer; it's actually the question, and the answer is yes!'

·
banana enthusiast
7,050 Posts
I would give him the same advice my mother gave me: "If someone hits you, you hit him back twice as hard!" I'd have a word with the principal or teachers as well, but I don't put much hope in this tactic. Teachers are ****ing useless, and more often than not they side with the bullies. So I would tell my kid that he doesn't need to take anyone's **** and to hit back if someone hits him.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think to a certain degree, you have to make your kid learn to stand up for themselves. School is already hard enough, and if the other kids think you'll go running to mama and daddy every time someone messes with you, then you won't have any respect and it will actually make things worse.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
When I got home, I went up to my dad and told him "Dad, someone at school is bullying me! I told him to stop, and he won't..." And my dad pretty much replied with a "lol no, your a little puss... If he's pushing you around and he's too stupid to verbally settle things, push him back". I considered his advice, even though I never like to lay hands on people.
You have a good dad. I would send my son in to getting a fight. If he lost, it would be a good lesson in the fact that a punch to the face/getting beaten up isn't the end of the world, and standing up for yourself is way more important.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
It is hard to give that kind of advice any more with school's zero tolerance to bullying rules. My son was constantly being bullied but wouldnt say anything in fear of thin
May I ask what the big deal in a suspension is? If I had a son who was suspended for three days, or a week, for fighting bullies, I would tell him to consider it a vacation.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
If I had a child I don't know how I would approach this. I was being bullied for a while when I was 12. I headbutted the guy in the nose and, just as you said, he never said a word to me since. On the other hand, when I was 13 I was being pushed around by an older pupil and I told a teacher. I got punched so hard in th mouth that I couldn't bit anything for over a year and 2 of my front teeth are dead. 4 of my front teeth were pushed right back and my dentist had to push them back into position and wire them up.

Maybe I should have headbutted this other guy too. IDK. I have been rather obsessed with martial arts since and I would definately have my kids trained and disciplined properly if I ever have any...

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I never really had to deal with this much growing up. Having the last name right out of a mafia movie helps I guess.

I would teach a hypothetical son about the mafia and psychological warfare. Watch TMZ and find out how to expose people and bring them down. Make sure your security is good, but exploit their weaknesses. Read The Art Of War...

Yes, I'm evil. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
My memory of my childhood is cloudy at best, but I distinctly remember one time when I came home and started crying about the name I was being called at school. My dad laughed, and provided no help whatsoever.

Thanks, dad...

OP, I think if I had kids I'd encourage them to stand up for themselves like your dad did.

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
've had to deal with this with my son (age 14). It is hard to give that kind of advice any more with school's zero tolerance to bullying rules. My son was constantly being bullied but wouldnt say anything in fear of things getting worse. One day he snapped when being bullied and went off on them verbally making a threat of what he would do if they wouldn't leave him alone. He ended up getting suspended for a day because he made a threat.
Teachers tend to ignore bullying, I was going to say the victim only gets into trouble if he reacts back physically (Someone got picked on for reason I really don't understand, he does kick boxing and is really strong so when he punched someone the marks lasted for a few weeks, but he got warned about getting kicked out the school, despite him being a major victim.) But in my first two years in school there was someone who would get picked on by almost everyone, and every single time he reacted he got into trouble, once I sat next to him and we were literally right in front of the teacher he got picked on by people on the same table but the teacher ignored it until he shouted out at them. Another example of the same person we were making presentations for english, about 3 people made one skitting at him but when he reacted (he throw a pen and it did hit the teacher in the eye) he got into trouble, but even teh teacher joined in.

But apart from high school (I can't stick up for myself verbally, and I can never hit anyone even if they are weaker than me, but really I ignore most things.) I used to hit back anyone who would hit me (but still Id never hit first) every time I done that they ran crying to their teacher lol (I was lucky, since one time someone asked me to hit them because we were arguing so I did, I was only 7 but still I would of had no chance against them lol but the punch literally had no visable effect on him.)

Oh yeah I forgot about the question, Id probably say hit them back if they are smaller than you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Children who are victims of bullying should be encouraged to learn self defence/a martial art. Not to use what they learn however to go around beating others randomly but by simply knowing they can adequately protect themselves if someone should get physical can make all the difference. Karate, judo etc are very disiplined art forms but they can give a child a much needed confidence boost especially if they feel vulnerable due to being small etc. I wish i'd had the opportunity to learn a form of self defence when I was a child as I felt defenceless when bigger kids gave me a hard time. If I had a child and they confessed to me that they were being bullied I would sign them up for self defence classes. Personally I think all schools should encourage self defence lessons to any child that is getting bullied at school. If a child does get physically threatened by another kid and they do lash out, they will be able to use a relatively safe move/technique to protect themselves while putting a stop to the other child hurting them.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
I would teach a hypothetical son about the mafia and psychological warfare. Watch TMZ and find out how to expose people and bring them down. Make sure your security is good, but exploit their weaknesses. Read The Art Of War...
Don't mean to be obnoxious but I had to LOL at that. I'd like to see someone use psychological tricks on some of the idiots round my way. If they were successful I would be in awe...

·
inactive
4,029 Posts

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
I think to a certain degree, you have to make your kid learn to stand up for themselves. School is already hard enough, and if the other kids think you'll go running to mama and daddy every time someone messes with you, then you won't have any respect and it will actually make things worse.
I really hate to agree with this but I do. I wish there was a better solution, but there usually isn't so yeah. I think you're absolutely right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts