Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in college, and I just meet a guy this week at an event. He asked me to go to a nearby restaurant, and I did. He asked me about myself, and told me he thought I was SO pretty, and that he'd seen me around.

The next day, he asked me to hangout with him in his room. There, he kissed me (my first kiss, I hated it.), and he said he was in love with me and aske if I wanted to be his girlfriend. I said I'd think about it.

A few hours later, I told him I just didn't feel the same way and I didn't want a boyfriend. Also that he was too forward.

Today he came to my dorm room (we're in the same building) and asked if I wanted to hangout with him, and then asked if someone told me not to be his girlfriend. I told him I didn't want a boyfriend. Then he called me on my phone and asked me the same question, and "just to hear my voice."

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
This situation is making my very uncomfortable, how do I tell him to leave me alone, without hurting his feelings?

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
This guy sounds pretty crazy, so you'll probably have to be really blunt and direct. You shouldn't have to worry about hurting his feelings, he's the one with issues here. You should tell him he's making you uncomfortable or something like that. No one that says they're in love with you instantly is very healthy. o_O

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
There is no way to tell him to leave you alone without hurting his feelings. But he needs to know sooner than later that you're not interested, because his visits and calls will continue to harass you. He sounds really insecure, and if that's the case, then things could escalate quickly. So be upfront and totally clear that you don't want a relationship.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
...yes, blunt and direct... keep answers to questions very short... as little eye contact as possible, no smiling, screen your calls. Be unavailable. "I'm really not interested."

I wouldn't label him a stalker quite yet, but he definitely has creep potential (either that or he's just seriously misguided when it comes to girls).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Today he came to my dorm room (we're in the same building) and asked if I wanted to hangout with him, and then asked if someone told me not to be his girlfriend. I told him I didn't want a boyfriend. Then he called me on my phone and asked me the same question, and "just to hear my voice."
You told this guy that you've got a boyfriend and he follows up with that (in quotes).
Does he believe you?

·
Registered
558 Posts
He's not being cool at all. It might be a REALLY good idea to tell him you have a bf or just met a great guy or something. That would make it harder for him to come back thinking or telling you that he can convince you or win you over. But yeah I agree with the other people and don't think there is no way to spare his feelings anymore.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
Ugh, the same just happened to me--the guy was a hardcore creep. It's kind of hard to muster up the courage to do it, but be as blunt as you possibly can. Something like "Look, I'm not interested in you, and I don't see us being friends right now" usually works. If you're feeling REALLY creeped out, throw in a "Leave me alone."

Yeah, it's kind of rude, but you've already tried being nice. If you have caller ID, I'd suggest ignoring his calls and texts as well.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
He may not even know he's coming on so strong. My bf has a friend who comes on INSANELY strong to girls and can't figure out why they all get freaked out. But I bet none of these girls has actually told him the truth. He's not doing it to be a creep--he's just really lonely and doesn't have a clue.

So do it. Tell this guy the truth and save him, you, and a ton of other girls a lot of hassle.

·
Lost in New Babylon
86 Posts
He may not even know he's coming on so strong. My bf has a friend who comes on INSANELY strong to girls and can't figure out why they all get freaked out. But I bet none of these girls has actually told him the truth. He's not doing it to be a creep--he's just really lonely and doesn't have a clue.

So do it. Tell this guy the truth and save him, you, and a ton of other girls a lot of hassle.
He doesn't sound like one of those people, though. Someone else said he didn't sound like a stalker yet, but I'll be really surprised if he doesn't become one. I've had a few experiences like this, and while it will certainly make you feel guilty, the best thing to do is be perfectly clear that you are not attracted to him and never will be. Then avoid him like the plague. Screen your calls if you don't already--no good can EVER come from talking to him. Avoid him in person, and while it may sound cruel, don't acknowledge any attempt he makes to communicate with you. If he says hello, just keep walking. And DO talk to your RA provided you trust them. I know all this sounds really mean, but it's necessary. You certainly should feel guilty; it's a very unfortunate thing and you wouldn't be human if you had no sympathy. However, encouraging him can only make his issues worse, so don't do it.

·
Pleased to meet me.
1,933 Posts
By the sounds of it, that's not going to stop him hehe

Yeah, like the others said... you just need to be blunt and make sure you don't sugarcoat it. I've learned from experience that dropping hints or being polite about it doesn't always work. Something similar happened to me my freshman year in college. I didn't want to be rude so I dropped subtle hints first. That didn't work. I then completely ignored his phone calls and texts, he still didn't understand I wasn't interested... and in one night I had twenty-seven missed calls from the guy (granted, they were drunk dials)...but still, after that I was officially weirded out. I finally built up the nerve to be blunt and direct, and he finally stopped calling. Sometimes people don't realize it and it's only fair to them (and yourself) to let them know they are wasting their time and you aren't interested.
twenty seven calls lol, i wonder why it took so many for him to realize you werent going to answer.

·
Super Meditator
3,575 Posts
Just be blunt and put an end to it, He sounds a bit crazy! (and not in a good way!)

·
Bearded but Lonely
165 Posts
Don't stand for creepers. Some guys need to be told off and told off hard. If he persists, tell authorities, like your RA. Some guys can do some terrible things to women. If you feel unsafe, trust your instinct.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
God you people are acting like he is some kind of murderer.

To me, he sounds like a normal 18 year old kid with crush on a girl. He simply thinks there still might be a chance because she wasn't being direct with him. I know the feeling because I've been in his shoes before and experienced the same exact thing where I had a hard time accepting the indirect attempts to avoid me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.