Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up in a neighbourhood full of old people. There were no kids my age to play with, and I wasn't allowed to go out much.
Logically, most of my childhood was spent with lego.

Now I am 18. i thoroughly enjoy painting, drawing and building stuff ( not from lego of course:) I am past that) . Yet everytime I am about to build something its always a tup of war with my mother.

Today I went in the tool kit for some binding wire and my mother told me to "grow up" and find a "more mature, manly hobby"

That really ticked me off. I just came home from college, and I am job hunting. So if spending and average of 12 waking hours at home for a whole month what I am I supposed to do !!!!

I just don't know what she expects a young man to do if he's got the whole day in the house !
I can't go shopping everyday ! Some days I will be at home, and as long as what I am doing isn't violent, unhealthy or illegal I don't see why she can't just leave me be !

I really need to move out. But of course, I can't seriously considerthat, till i have a job....

·
Registered
64 Posts
You have hobbies you enjoy doing, nothing wrong with that. And it doesn't involve a computer or tv, I have to give you props for that too! I need more hobbies like that lol Maybe you can ask her what a "manly hobby" would be if she was being 100% serious.. doubt that though. Sounds like your moms just frustrated, and it has nothing to do with your hobby honestly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Now I am 18. i thoroughly enjoy painting, drawing and building stuff ( not from lego of course:) I am past that) . Yet everytime I am about to build something its always a tup of war with my mother.
I'm quite a fan of your hobbies! They're very similar to my husbands, and I would never consider him, much less call his hobbies "not manly." They are artistic and creative hobbies, of which you should be very proud. They make you think about things differently, and that probably makes you a very interesting person.

I also love to draw and paint (part of what I have in common with my husband) and I use my creativity in my career now, in the form of graphic design. Maybe you can look for a job that gives you a creative outlet (though I know how hard it is to find a job of any kind these days).

No matter what, keep doing what you enjoy.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nicktoons festival

I want to send a submission to Nicktoons Animation festival this year.

I hope it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts