Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling with talking with the other students. I just cant open my mouth , I feel like everyone is going to judge me. WHen I even try it is soooo low , the teacher notices Im not speaking and she even forgot my name and put me on the spot. We read to each other in a group and my thoughts always wander . Before and during reading something , I get sooo nervous . Im tired of this, Im too shy. I hate my voice when Im nervous and I want to get advice or something, Please help me . I feel so sad..and mute

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
hey there

Don't feel sad if nobody answered your post. Though I can't believe nobody didn't :sus

Groups are a challenge. You shouldn't feel bad about yourself if you didn't speak up. Wait your turn or raise your hand. Better yet, if you could talk to the teacher before or after class in private and explain your situation. You might have to talk to them more than once so they give you assurance and confidence next time.

I felt the same way before and how low my voice gets in those types of situation. You might want to practice at home or look into self-help book or at self-help websites and get tips on what to improve. At some point if it makes you more sad than helping, I recommend dropping out or withdrawing from the course until you are mentally prepared for another group. Nobody is born with a skill to speak in a group, it's a learned skill and is practiced until it becomes natural.

However, if you are in the group again, it is OK to say something small like one or two sentences. Don't add on anything until someone ask you or if you are brave go ahead & keep going. Some ppl in your group might also be shy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been through this numerous times in high school. I dreaded getting in groups because the students were so good at mixing in everyday chit-chat while doing the assigned work. It made me stand out so much. I was quiet, and all-business.

Now in college, I've found it easier as mostly everyone is more serious about the assignments. What I do is I prepare myself to have something to say and when the time is right, I get in my words. Having a question to ask is also a big plus as it gets the attention off of you for a few moments. I haven't mastered this, mind you, and I still struggle to find anything good to say, but it's better than going in blindly, you know?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts