Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, what IS it that makes grocery shopping so miserable. I feel like I'm on a battlefield when I go, trying to dodge everyone and stay out of peoples' ways.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I have serious issues with the grocery store. All the people and the long aisles intmidate me. All the beeping from the cashiers make me anxious and then the self check out lanes scream at people to " Please place item in the bag." The bright lights just make it worse. I hate the grocery store.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I also hate the grocery store esp the check out lines. I usually go early in the morning to beat the rush. I had to go to Walmart today. It is cheaper to go their then the other stores here. The only thing I don't buy from them is meat. I don't usually buy much meat because it is so expensive here and not very good. I got spoiled growing up in Iowa. The meat was much better. The only meat I buy at Walmart is the frozen ground turkey patties. They are pretty tasty and healthier. I don't like Walmart because all the workers stare at me like I am a criminal or something. I get my stuff as fast as I can and get the heck out of there. I pretty much got the store memorized so I can whip right in there. I try to avoid going as long as I can. Sometimes I will buy a few things at the grocery store up the street, but I will only buy the stuff that is on special.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I don't like shopping at Walmart. The greeters jump out in front of me when I enter the store and they attack me for my receipt when I am leaving the store. Walmart is always too crowded for me to feel comfortable there. Their self help check outs are the loudest and they malfunction more than other stores.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
I'm in high school and a lot of people who I sort of know work in grocery stores. I usually go with my brother at weird hours of the day, so it's not too bad.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I stopped going to grocery stores for about a 6 year period when my SA was at it's worse, I still try to take someone with me when I go even now.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I dont like groceries like walmart the social aspect of having small talk with a cashier.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I dont so much mind the grocery store as I go in their with a list and systematically go through the store to get it done in the quickest amount of time. I also wear headphones which I have found almost makes the experience enjoyable.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't like them because everyone moves so slow in them. I practically race through the store. I get so frusturated when I am stuck going at a snails pace behind people. I don't mind the people who work there, because I work in retail.

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
I don't like them because everyone moves so slow in them. I practically race through the store. I get so frusturated when I am stuck going at a snails pace behind people.
TOTALLY! "slow walkers" irritate me to no end! i like to get in, get out- but it sucks when there are all of these sunday (shopping cart) drivers just ambling about. i just came back from the grocery store, and it was a hellacious experience, as usual.

i like it when there is no 'bagger' at the check out line, so i can just start bagging things up myself. it helps to eliminate the awkwardness of just 'standing there'.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have to go to the big chain supermarket now. Im really not looking forward to it. I normally go with my partner and I just push the trolley and dodge my way around people, it seems so much easier with someone else. But Im going alone. GAIA HELP ME! Im going to have to push trolley and reach for food! then line up, sort my shopping out (which I have trouble doing, I never get what should go with what in the same bag etc), then try and get a taxi home which is hell for me, sitting in a cab with some stranger. Argh!

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I wish Whole Foods were cheaper, because I'd go there. Their deli is amazing. I don't really mind grocery shopping.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a hard time too. No wonder I never have anything to eat! for me there is just too many choices. I want to make sure I make the right purchase so I'm constantly comparing prices, ingredients, nutritional information. It's just too stressful!

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
I only have a problem in my area cuz of my severe phobia of running into familiar peeps. In other areas I don't have a problem :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last year while I was at school, I wouldn't eat for days because I didn't want to deal with going to the grocery store (or leaving my bed, but that's a different story). I absolutely hate it.

Last night there were only two checkouts open and I had to wait in line for a little over 10 minutes just to purchase some benadryl. People try to make small talk in line, and guys look at me funny.. Ugh.. and then there's the whole etiquette about with that 'divider bar' thing that I always forget that makes things awkward. Looking at the magazines really freaks me out too - "is that what the average person is interested in reading? Do they all really just want to see celebrity decay?"

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had to go to Walmart today. It is cheaper to go their then the other stores here. The only thing I don't buy from them is meat. I don't usually buy much meat because it is so expensive here and not very good.
The meat from Walmart is filled with so many preservatives it isn't funny. That is how it keeps its pretty red color for so long. I've heard that you can keep that stuff for years and it stays red! My mom calls it pretty rotten meat. She says that you can smell that it is rotten in the store. My sense of smell isn't as good as hers, so I don't know.

I dislike Walmart because of the crowds. People get in my way and I worry that I'm in their way. The other day I was buying a bunch of groceries and a man with a few things got behind me in line. I felt bad and did manage to get up the courage to ask him if he wanted to go ahead of me. He said, "no I'm in no hurry". He also started to flirt with me a little which made me very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a hard time too. No wonder I never have anything to eat! for me there is just too many choices. I want to make sure I make the right purchase so I'm constantly comparing prices, ingredients, nutritional information. It's just too stressful!
Me too!

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I'm really strange and even though I'm usually afraid of the world I actually LOVE going to the grocery store. I think it's because I feel hidden from people in the aisles and most of the people there are usually adults so I don't feel as intimidated. I just HATE checking out. If I went alone, then I'll feel super awkward at the cash register, like I should be having a conversation with the cashier or something. I sort of just play with my phone cause I feel like I can't just stand there staring at nothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts