Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, but certainly not new to the cloud of social anxiety. I've been in therapy/on medication for the past six years and have made some enormous strides in dealing with low self-esteem, do-nothingism, and many of the other social anxiety-related issues.

It took a traumatic event in my life to finally convince me to seek help. Truthfully, anxiety and depression have been a part of my life since I was about 7 or 8 (I'm a 26 year old male).

In the past few years, I've been able to tackle the problems I had with self image, and I feel much more comfortable interacting with new people at work, in social situations, and just everyday life.

Because of my longtime battle with SA, a lot of the typical social benchmarks that most people my age have passed by are still on hold for me.

I've always been able to make friends and acquaintances, but have no significant long-term friendships. To this day, I still worry that someone is just being polite when acting friendly towards me, even with reassurance from the person in question. I've also never been in a long-term relationship. I recently started dating, and that has been a huge accomplishment. Fear of rejection always prevented this from happening in the past.

Despite my progress, I do have setbacks and haven't completely overcome my fear of rejection. I also have a tendency to worry about what others think of me. I feel relieved that I've found a place where like-minded people can bounce ideas off of each other.

I look forward to offering any insight that I have and thank you in advance for your compassion and understanding.

·
Relentless
558 Posts
Welcome, and nice name. ^^ I hope you can find some people to talk to here, and some comfort. I have experienced quite a few of the same things as you. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, ICanSeeBlueSkies! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts